Library for RSview SE ?

norway71

We are starting a rather big project with several vendors with different RSView SE applications. Would like to be sure that all vendors are using the same symbol for the same thing, do NOT want 100 different valves, motors etc.

Is there libraries for sale with standardized symbols/objects?
Or is the only available libraries those included in RSView Studio?

Check Software Toolbox. Everything seems to be a derivative of what used to be Reichert's Symbol Factory - either in vector graphic form or ActiveX control. I haven't found anyone else that does a very good job with a comprehensive industrial image pack. And I have looked!

(wishing...) Wouldn't it be nice if someone came up with a set of open source industrial images. I would if I was more of an artist :-(.

norway71 said:
We are starting a rather big project with several vendors with different RSView SE applications. Would like to be sure that all vendors are using the same symbol for the same thing, do NOT want 100 different valves, motors etc.

Is there libraries for sale with standardized symbols/objects?
Or is the only available libraries those included in RSView Studio?

norway71 said:
QUOTE]

I feel sorry for ya.

With SE having different pictures will be the least of your problems!

Wow - and that's coming from a Rockwell fan. I've also heard horror stories from Integrators and users about SE who were successful with the regular RSView. There have been posts about successful implementations too. I'd like to hear how it goes.

SLC_Integrator said:
norway71 said:
I feel sorry for ya.

With SE having different pictures will be the least of your problems!

surferb said:
Wow - and that's coming from a Rockwell fan.QUOTE]

I'm not sure where you got that idea.
I have done a fair amount of Logix500 and 5000 (The local CC managed to con me into teaching it next semester) but I only use it when I need to.

For example:
I'm sat right here doing a WinCC/S7/300 project right now.
Tomorrow is Yokogawa CS3000 for the rest of the week then next Monday its back to commission a TDC3000 project I built a couple of weeks ago.

I dont really have any particular 'fan' affiliations, all of the stuff I do has its ups and downs (I do alot of 984LL but HATE it)I just deal with it as it comes.

I got that idea from how fiercely you recently attacked AD in favor of AB - as your name indicates. I could have sworn you've had similar arguements on the software side. I could be mistaken - I'll go back and check.

SLC_Integrator said:
surferb said:
Wow - and that's coming from a Rockwell fan.QUOTE]

I'm not sure where you got that idea.
I have done a fair amount of Logix500 and 5000 (The local CC managed to con me into teaching it next semester) but I only use it when I need to.

For example:
I'm sat right here doing a WinCC/S7/300 project right now.
Tomorrow is Yokogawa CS3000 for the rest of the week then next Monday its back to commission a TDC3000 project I built a couple of weeks ago.

I dont really have any particular 'fan' affiliations, all of the stuff I do has its ups and downs (I do alot of 984LL but HATE it)I just deal with it as it comes.

SLC = Salt Lake City, the place I live, not the SLC PLC.

I actually dont really think much of SLC500 as a hardware platform, it'll fault as soon as look at you and its pretty clunky.

I do like what Rockwell has done with Logix5000 but when you spend time with Step7, Unity Pro and CME you soon realise thats where everyone is going so its not great technology leader.

As far as Rockwell software?
Rockwell is overcomplicated and very expensive.
Most other manufacturers have rolled all their HMI into one easy package (CME, WinCC), Panelview is mega overpriced and (as I mention at every opportunity) RSView SE is horrible.
That said, we do alot of it because customers use it and we have the people and skills to get it done.
I spend about half my time on DCS where everything is put together to work, be super functional and extremely reliable.
But then it costs about 10x as much too.

I guess my biggest beef with AD aside from its Walmart hardware is the 'Opto22 Effect' where there is nothing canned and if you want to do anything complicated or out of the ordinary its a major pain. I know some of the more intense programmers out there actually enjoy this but I have neither the luxury of time or inclination to constantly re-invent the wheel when I can use hardware that costs a little more but gives me 99% of the functionality I need right off the bat.

Hopefully this explains my position a little better. I try not to flame though I guess i do come across a little blunt now and again.

I understand. Thanks for the info. I feel silly, presumptuous, and like an ****. It sounds like you recognize actual quality, value, and discriminate equally against bad equipment. I like that.

SLC_Integrator said:
SLC = Salt Lake City, the place I live, not the SLC PLC.

I actually dont really think much of SLC500 as a hardware platform, it'll fault as soon as look at you and its pretty clunky.

I do like what Rockwell has done with Logix5000 but when you spend time with Step7, Unity Pro and CME you soon realise thats where everyone is going so its not great technology leader.

As far as Rockwell software?
Rockwell is overcomplicated and very expensive.
Most other manufacturers have rolled all their HMI into one easy package (CME, WinCC), Panelview is mega overpriced and (as I mention at every opportunity) RSView SE is horrible.
That said, we do alot of it because customers use it and we have the people and skills to get it done.
I spend about half my time on DCS where everything is put together to work, be super functional and extremely reliable.
But then it costs about 10x as much too.

I guess my biggest beef with AD aside from its Walmart hardware is the 'Opto22 Effect' where there is nothing canned and if you want to do anything complicated or out of the ordinary its a major pain. I know some of the more intense programmers out there actually enjoy this but I have neither the luxury of time or inclination to constantly re-invent the wheel when I can use hardware that costs a little more but gives me 99% of the functionality I need right off the bat.

Hopefully this explains my position a little better. I try not to flame though I guess i do come across a little blunt now and again.