Ken Roach - 1394 Status

davidg68124

Ken Roach,

Can you give me a more detailed idea for the status of the 1394 line. I have looked at the Silver Series website, but I have a client who wants a more definitive answer as to when Rockwell will stop supporting them altogether. I had a local distributor lead me to believe it was at the end of the year, but they have had all their technical people leave, so I cannot go to them to get this information.

David R. Gulick

I'm concerned with the 1336 plus 2 line myself as we currently use 37 of them here so I'm wondering how long they can maintain replacements for this product.

Ooh - that's rough!

I appreciate what your son does. Where is he stationed? I constantly observe people thanking our soldiers, sailors, marines, and airmen in uniform. You should be glad to hear that, in my experience, our servicemembers are recognized and appreciated.

davidg68124 said:
I had a local distributor lead me to believe it was at the end of the year, but they have had all their technical people leave, so I cannot go to them to get this information.

Currently, he is at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. After that He will be stationed with his unit that we do not have any information about yet.

He is currently a squad leader and should be meritoriously promoted to Lance Corporal before December 15th.

David

You have every right to be very proud of him! Did he get a chance to come home and visit you after Parris Island? I'm sure he will have a fullfilling first assignment. It's all about making the best out of the situation, and there's opportunity everywhere. There are guys that complain and guys that take action. It sounds like your son is among the latter. You don't need me to tell you that he'll do well.

davidg68124 said:
Currently, he is at Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri. After that He will be stationed with his unit that we do not have any information about yet.

He is currently a squad leader and should be meritoriously promoted to Lance Corporal before December 15th.

David

He was actually at the MCRD/Camp Pendleton in San Diego. I went to graduation ceremonies there and then brought him home for 10 days. He will actually be visiting next month over one of the weekends.

David

David, see attached letter regarding 1394 line. Mordred, as far as the Plus II drives are concerned, have not heard anything regarding them. The Silver Series website shows 1336 Classic and 1336 VT drives becoming unavailable for order on 12/1/07 and completely discontinued on 1/31/08, but nothing for 1336F.

There are some new legal rules that prevent me from posting directly on Company policies. Send me a Private Message and I'll get back to you via e-mail on the status of 1336 Plus and Plus II drives availability.

I can say that I do have installed base of many thousands of those drives in my area and I don't worry about availability of Plus II's. The Classics are 15+ years old, the Plus is 10+, so you have to go through at least one more generation of obsolescence before you lose availability on the Plus II.

My Plant has a lot of 1336 drives in the 20-30HP range. We have started to replace the classics as they fail. The cost of a new PowerFlex40, is about the same as some of the repair boards for a 1336-classic. We are not making an effort to replace the drives just because they are old, our plan is to replace them as they fail.

I seriously doubt we will replace them until necessary either but knowing how long we have the availability helps me convince management to set aside a seperate budget when it becomes necessary

We have at least 20 1394 systems some older one's and some newer one's I'm sure well just buy rebuild one's from some one because it would be to expensive to upgrade all those system's some we would have to build new panels to install the upgrade's. Its just to bad they never went any where with the 1394 they could have done some upgrade's on the 1394 like able to upload the program online editing that would have been great and add a couple more timers.

Remember that A-B liked the "1336" name so much they applied it to a bunch of different products:

1336 Classic (CT and VT)

1336 Plus (also 1336 Impact and 1336 FORCE variations)
(1336S, 1336E, 1336T)

1336 Plus II
(1336F)

I've done a few Classic replacements on schedule and on failure. If you are using the RIO interface, plan ahead to make your PLC program changes because the command bit structure and reference scaling are different for different drive generations.

I'm lucky in that regard as none of them are currently tied to a PLC the worse case scenario is two of them use optional I/O cards which we use to addd some inputs as part of its safety circuit.