sinking vs sourcing

merlin00724

seems like i got a handle on sink and source. mostly from all great threads on this board. but one question of mine was unanswered. is there a performance advantage to one versus the other? i posed the question to the building electrician at work and he said sourcing is faster. that you will get quicker responses to your plc and from your outputs. is this true? i have a gut feeling that this not exactly factual. what's your opinions. thanks as always!

I'd say your coworker is pulling your leg. Electrons flow the same speed regardless of what direction they're going. The thing to remember is that a DC system must contain a sourcing and sinking device in order to work, i.e. a sinking PLC input must be connected to a sourcing field device and vice versa. So saying that "sourcing is faster" doesn't make much sense because there will always be a sourcing and sinking component.

NPN vs PNP, have you read this yet: http://www.patchn.com/npnpnp.htm

To confuse the issue in some cases you can have a NPN field device and it be replaced with a PNP device, all that happens is it works opposite i.e. if the NPN acted like a normally open switch then the PNP device will act like a normally closed.

The speed is the same regardless of type.

Be very careful when bending wires, centrifugal force will cause the electrons to sling out on real sharp turns. :D

DC is faster than AC, but sinking/sourcing speed is the same.