Ab Plc4

I've heard of them, but i thought that there were very few ever made or sold. I seem to remember my old boss talking about them and how big they were in size.

we have 5 or 6 of them pretty much maintenance free just change out the battery every year so we don't lose the program. Don't know what we would do if we did. I know we have a hand held to program them never done it before and hope I never have too.

I had about 4 of them in one of the plants I worked at. I believe this was AB's first attempt at a "Brick" PLC, but I could be wrong.

Never had any trouble out of them. We had a handheld programmer I dug out once to make a small programming change (took me an hour to change a N/O to N/C)!

I made a nice little project out of yanking them out and replacing them with 1794 flex I/O from a central 5/04.

allscott said:
I believe this was AB's first attempt at a "Brick" PLC, but I could be wrong.
Pretty well right.
There was rivalry between the Cleveland and Milwaukee operations and both produced their own "small PLC". Milwaukee produced the MAC (Modular Automation Controller) and Cleveland produced the PLC4. The PLC4 was also marketed as a "micro" PLC, although it was only micro in capability, not physical size. Both the MAC and the PLC4 were unpopular and 'orphans' from the rest of the product lines. They were dumped in favour of the Japanese-made SLC100.

I wondered because I came across one in the storage room at the local community college along with some PLC2/3 and some really old CRT panelviews. There was all sorts of goodies. maybe I should start a museum.

Anyone know of any other 'failed products' in our little PLC world ?