Ethernet Switches

nettogrisen

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have an application with a CompactLogix L32E, 2x remote IO racks (ethernet) and a PV+ (ethernet), so I need a switch. My question is; is a normal switch from a computerstore good enough or do I need an industrial ethernetswitch?

What are the advantages of an industrial ethernetswitch?

The application controls 6 pumps, that pumps the water out of a dry dock. So it has to be a pretty stable network.

Last edited:
Generally the only advantage of an industrial switch is that they are 24Vdc supplied and can be DIN rail mounted, not a lot else really

If you dont need an industrial switch and can run the cables to a comms cabinet somewhere in the plant then just use a standard HP or 3Com etc switch

Advantages of an industrial switch are:

Higher temperature rating
Higher MTBF (mean time between failures)
24V powered with a terminal connection. (No plug pack required)
Din rail mountable

The above info is for unmanaged switches, its another ball game if we start talking managed switches.
Regards Alan Case

If you are a little bit picky about how "correct" you want your installation to be, then you absolutely cannot use any home/office grade equipment in an industrial installation.
In EU your installation must have a CE declaration of conformity (with your signature !), and to put it very short this means that all equipment must be CE approved to EN 61000-6-2 (immunity aginst noise), and EN 61000-6-4 (limit to amount of radiated noise). The CE tick that you find on all equipment is actually classified in two groups, one group for home/office and the other for industrial installations. You cannot mix the two groups in principle.

Now, it is a completely different story how "correct" one should be. I am sure that many installations live happily with non-industrial equipment here and there. And maybe there is a signed declartion of conformity too, so everybody is happy.

For ethernet switches I wouldnt try to save by going for cheap stuff. There are plenty reasonably cost-effective industrial ethernet switches out there.

For Ethernet/IP, as far as I understand, as a minimum the switches must support QoS and IGMP snooping.

Although not a PLC application for which I tend to use Harting, we use managed GE products for our electric fence networks, which although not particularly cheap do come with a lifetime warranty and the support is good.

I am aware of a competitor that has used cheaper devices that aren't even managed and has had several failures resulting in loss of control of the fence which is not what you want in high security applications.

The market is abundant with IP switches but as Jesper has said you need to select the switch to meet your application. If you go managed something else to look at is SNMP, which, if you get software to run it will provide you with reporting on the network switches and system health.

Jon.

We find that the Pheonix Contact line of switches are easy to use, din rail moutable, fault outputs and stuff like that are good to have...and again, are good to mount in beside high voltage.....etc.

Hej nettogris.

I think this is an example of a thread with a headline that is not specific enough.
You need a switch that work with CompactLogix and remote i/o via Ethernet. In other words, you need something that will work specifically with Ethernet/IP. And then the ethernet switches absolutely MUST have IGMP snooping. So not just any ethernet switch will be good enough, and not even an industrially hardened switch if it doesnt have this feature.

One other side note on industrial switches is that you can find some that have better ratings vs water than home office switches

I disagree with Jesper. If the system is stand alone with only 1 compact logix,remote ethernet IO and a panelview then it does not require an IGMP enabled switch. There is no other items on the network to flood with the muticast data. We quite often use a Hirschman unmanaged switch in such a situation with no problems.
Regards Alan

I Found a useful article that relates to what Jesper is saying so I'll post a copy here it provides some very useful info on ethernet one of the handy areas is where is discussses the effects of temperature on ethernet speeds and the ethernet classifications

OOPs guess I can't post it as its too large even when zipped

PUB00148ro ethernetIP media planning and installation guide

I'll see if I can't find the link where I had downloaded it

Last edited:
nettogrisen said:
Hi, I have an application with a CompactLogix L32E, 2x remote IO racks (ethernet) and a PV+ (ethernet), so I need a switch. My question is; is a normal switch from a computerstore good enough or do I need an industrial ethernetswitch?

What are the advantages of an industrial ethernetswitch?

The application controls 6 pumps, that pumps the water out of a dry dock. So it has to be a pretty stable network.

Go with an industrial switch such as supplied by Phoenix Contact or N-Tron. Some of the store bought switches can have a port lock up especially if you remove a cat5 cable from one port and plug into another while powered up. We once had a service call to a plant in the middle of the night caused by that. After that incident the value of a $30 Linksys switch cost more than a $130 Phoenix industrial switch

Alan Case said:
Advantages of an industrial switch are:

Higher temperature rating
Higher MTBF (mean time between failures)
24V powered with a terminal connection. (No plug pack required)
Din rail mountable

The above info is for unmanaged switches, its another ball game if we start talking managed switches.
Regards Alan Case

Higher temperature rating won't be an issue.

Higher MTBF makes this a must. (Thanks for info)

We have 230V but will use 24V if it's an option.

Din rail mountable, hmm... the cabinet is 2+ meters high, pretty wide and pretty deep, and the only things in it is the CompactLogix, a little 24V powersupply and the PV in the front. I think I can manage to find place for a switch that isn't din rail mountable ;) lol. Don't ask me why the cabinet has to be that big, it looks ridiculous ^^. But of course it's easier to fit it on a din rail.

I'll have to look up managed/unmanaged, but it looks to me as if it has something to do with network surveillance.

JesperMP said:
If you are a little bit picky about how "correct" you want your installation to be, then you absolutely cannot use any home/office grade equipment in an industrial installation.
In EU your installation must have a CE declaration of conformity (with your signature !), and to put it very short this means that all equipment must be CE approved to EN 61000-6-2 (immunity aginst noise), and EN 61000-6-4 (limit to amount of radiated noise). The CE tick that you find on all equipment is actually classified in two groups, one group for home/office and the other for industrial installations. You cannot mix the two groups in principle.

Now, it is a completely different story how "correct" one should be. I am sure that many installations live happily with non-industrial equipment here and there. And maybe there is a signed declartion of conformity too, so everybody is happy.

For ethernet switches I wouldnt try to save by going for cheap stuff. There are plenty reasonably cost-effective industrial ethernet switches out there.

For Ethernet/IP, as far as I understand, as a minimum the switches must support QoS and IGMP snooping.

Of course I wan't the installation to be as "correct" as possible, and I understand what you mean. But I thought that installations only had to be CE appoved if the customer specifies that it has to be.

I will get an industrial switch now of course.

I will have to look up QoS and IGMP snooping, cause I don't have a clue what that is.

Jon R said:
Although not a PLC application for which I tend to use Harting, we use managed GE products for our electric fence networks, which although not particularly cheap do come with a lifetime warranty and the support is good.

I am aware of a competitor that has used cheaper devices that aren't even managed and has had several failures resulting in loss of control of the fence which is not what you want in high security applications.

The market is abundant with IP switches but as Jesper has said you need to select the switch to meet your application. If you go managed something else to look at is SNMP, which, if you get software to run it will provide you with reporting on the network switches and system health.

Jon.

SNMP is one more thing I'll have to look up.
This is more complicated than I thought ^^