Data from Excel to an AB PLC

edwardt

I know how to view data in excel pulled from a plc, but how do i go the other way? I would like to be able to, for instance, write a 1 to a certain bit in the processor.
Thanks

edwardt said:
I know how to view data in excel pulled from a plc, but how do i go the other way? I would like to be able to, for instance, write a 1 to a certain bit in the processor.
Thanks

From Knowledge database

Not too long ago, was was investigating VBA scripting to write an application in Excel to read/write data to a controller. RA has a example that does exactly what you want. It is on their website somewhere. Just do a search. If you can't find it, let me know and I will try to find it again.

Using a purchased version of RLinx, you can use DDE to do this from an event in excel.

If you are already reding values using the Copy and Paste DDE Link feature, then your are 90% done.

You will have to detemine the event(s) in terms of Excel, in which you want to send a DDE update to the PLC.

You will have to edit a VBA routine for the event you choose.

In the code you will open a DDE channel, write the value, and, at some point in the excel application, you will close the channel.

There is an oversimplified example in RSLinx Help, search for topic "Excel".

There is a fantastic example at MrPLC.com

Paul