PID controller's terminology

Pandiani

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello guys,

Recently, I've read some documentation about software implementation of PID controllers.
I've found something very interesting. For the sake of simplicity I'll give example of PI controller. Basically, documentation distinguishes two type of PI algorithm: multiplicative and additive.
Multiplicative algorithm has the following form:
CO = Kp*error + Kp* integral(error)/TN,
where Kp represents proportional gain, while TN represents so called reset time.
Additive algorithm has the following form:
CO = KO * error + KI * integral(error),
where KO is gain factor and KI represent "Integral time constant"
Since KI is constant, it is dimensionless and since TN is time, it has dimension of seconds.
I googled about this and found that parameter TN (Ideal dependant form) is often called both "reset" and "integral time" interchangeably.
I wonder why term "reset time" is chosen?
Theoretical step response of PI controller (multiplicative) with Kp = 4 and TN = 10 is shown in figure in attachment for the following code:
Code:
   [color=black]t1 = 20;[/color][/font]
    [color=black][font=Arial]Kp = 4;[/font][/color]
    [color=black][font=Arial]TN = 10;[/font][/color]
    [color=black][font=Arial]Ts = 0.02;[/font][/color]
    [color=black][font=Arial]N = t1/Ts;[/font][/color]
      [color=black][font=Arial]e(1:N/2) = 0;[/font][/color]
    [color=black][font=Arial]e(N/2+1:N) = 1;[/font][/color]
    [color=black][font=Arial]I(1)=0;[/font][/color]
    [color=blue][font=Arial]for[/font][/color][color=black][font=Arial] i = 1 : (N-1)[/font][/color]
    [color=black][font=Arial]	I(i+1) = I(i) + Kp*(Ts/TN)*(e(i)+e(i+1))/2;[/font][/color]
    [color=black][font=Arial]	CO(i+1) = Kp*e(i+1) + I(i+1);[/font][/color]
    [color=blue][font=Arial]end[/font][/color]
  [color=black][font=Arial]plot(Ts:Ts:t1, CO, [/font][/color][color=#a020f0][font=Arial]'r'[/font][/color][color=black][font=Arial]);  grid [/font][/color][color=#a020f0][font=Arial]on[/font][/color][color=black][font=Arial]
  hold [/font][/color][color=#a020f0][font=Arial]on[/font][/color][color=black][font=Arial]
  plot (Ts:Ts:t1, e)[/font][/color]
  [font=Arial]
As we know, nothing specially happens after "reset time", integrator keps summing and after t = TN, CO is at 2*Kp...
Does term "reset time" has anything to do with the PI form (algorithm type)?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/uploads/PI_response.jpg

Last edited:
I am waiting for someone to tell me what gets reset too for a long time

You and I know TN it is a time constant. The process industry uses time constants in minutes because that best matches their applications.

Motion controllers don't normally use time constants. Time constants in the minute or even the second range are too long or slow for system that have time constants in the milliseconds.

It goes back to the days when there was a round knob on the front of the new-fangled proportional controller labeled "reset".

When the process stabilized and lined out, typically evident because the controller was part of the a circular chart recorder, the PV was not necessarily at the setpoint.

The operator would turn the reset knob, increasing or decreasing the reset action, until the process lined out at the setpoint.

Fischer_Porter_circular_recorder_controller.jpg