RSlogix500 and remote desktop

1_1_1

on a computer thats connected to both the PLC and normal network we have RSlogix500, 5000 installed

5000 will open fine over RD but 500 gives a license error
we have the license and all and it opens fine localy but not remotely

If no instances of rs500 are open and I remote desktop to it I can't open it but if I already have it opened then remote desktop I can use the open instances but if I close one I can't open it back over remote desktop only localy

and we're using a common user on the computer and the console switch so the user is already loged in and it just changes to a remote session

and we have a way worked out to prevent being knocked off by someone else logging in

Can you open two instances of the program if you are running this on the local machine? If not, then your problem is with Microsoft and they way it is trying to open the program when done using Remote Desktop. Try opening the program by right clicking RSLogix 500 and Run as the local user.

If I'm infront of the computer I can open as many as I want but if I RD to it then unless its already open I can't open it

recently I upgraded to 7.3 and now if it open it remotely I get a trial message but if I open it localy it opens fine and normal

the user account used is the same as the one logged in localy and is a domain user account

James Mcquade said:
the problem may be in the way you installed your license.

there is a network wersion and a single user version.

regards,
james
how can I tell which it is
its from a master disk

Just a WAG.

In RD client before you connect, expand the Options to look at your Local Resources tab and see if Local Devices: Disk Drives is checked. Uncheck it if so. Might be that '500 is looking at your local drive for the activation files vs the computer that it is installed on.

not sure whats causing your problem but i have one main pc that runs our view se server and i also use to to make changes to the existing programm (slc 5/05). I use pc anywhere to access it and i haven't had any problems to date.

Remote Desktop and PCAnywhere are completely different beasts, just an FYI.

kurt.brinker said:
not sure whats causing your problem but i have one main pc that runs our view se server and i also use to to make changes to the existing programm (slc 5/05). I use pc anywhere to access it and i haven't had any problems to date.

Wow how freaky is this!

I had EXACTLY the same problem yesterday and asked Rockwell Tech Support what was going on.

Apparently Logix 500 doesnt play nice with Windows .net framework 1.1.
.net Framework 1.1 is used by Remote Desktop to manage opening and closing programs and as such Logix500 cant be opened via Remote Desktop.

Their solution was to use either VNC or PC anywhere or dont close down Logix500.

I tested mine and once logix is open everything works great.

rdrast said:
Remote Desktop and PCAnywhere are completely different beasts, just an FYI.

i figured it was completely different architecture but i wanted to throw that out there in case he needed another remote control solution. We use pcanywhere and logmein on our pc's for remote control/access