Pulse Outputs S7200 for Stepper control

Xsailor

G'morning gentlemen.

I have been lurking on the forums as a guest for a while and had some queries which needed help.

Overview:

I am a absolute novice at automation.

I have custom-built (Made in USA) Special-purpose-machine which requires tweaking.

Task:

8 lead/2 phase stepper motors and Drives (Applied-motion) used in open-loop motion control.

PLC is the CPU 226/S7 programmed for PTO (pulse train Outputs on two outputs).

The HMI (TP170B) shows the following user-controlled data.

1. Delay - 0

2. Speed - 4000

3. Start - 3200

4. Stop - 200

5. Cycles - 400

The Stepper driver is set for 1/2 steps and 400 pulses give 360 degrees of rotation.

When I tweak Cycles to 800, I get two rotations. That settles that Cycle=Pulses

Apart from this, I am unable to understand the other figures.

I tried referring to the S7200 manual - lots of information there but I got further confused.

Query:

1. What are these values? Units?

2. Speed, I guess is the Indexing speed in Hz.

3. If Start/Stop are the acel/Decl figures, what are their units?

Am I right in believing the following analogy.

- Start of one cycle.

- PLC sends pulses to the Drive at starting at 3200pul/sec and going upto 4000pul/sec. The signal then wanes to 200pul/sec (decl) and this completes the cyle.

- But the motor only needs 400 pulses to do the job. Does this mean that motor will do the rotation in 400/4000 = 10 msec? What about the pulses which were sent during the ramp-up/down stages and it's count.

I am all confused!!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers

Seth

Hi Seth!!

Welcome to forum.
Well place an order and will fix it the way you want, for sure;-)
Well are you trying to understand your system or you want to change the functionality of the system?
Do you have commented copy of the programm? As far as units and other things are concerned, forget it, if the system is behaving you want it to.
But if you are doin R&D, then refer to the commented program and manual of the drive, if you dont have commented copy, download it from the CPU, but no comments in this case.

@manmeetvirdi

I am both trying to understand the system as well as gear-up for some modifications.
Commented program fro the PLC is available but after searching for hours, 'I still haven't found what I was looking for'.
The Drive+Motor concept is clear - it is the PLC and HMI which is troubling me.
PS: NO HMI program available so I am unable to corelate tags.

Cheers