GE Fanuc RX3i Profibus to Fuji drive

Dave Powers

Does anyone have any experience using a Profibus interface to a GE Fuji variable frequency drive? We have limited experience communicating from a RX3i to the Versamax remote modules. It looks like the VFD Profibus interface uses COMMREQ's to communicate. The documentation from GE Fanuc and Fuji does not have good examples.

Any examples of the COMMREQ blocks would be great.

Thanks

Dave,

I've never done a GE Fanuc PLC application with Profibus, but I have done Genius to AF300 drives and also DeviceNet to third-party devices. Neither of those required COMREQ instructions, although there are cases where you might want to use COMREQs.

I can't imagine why Profibus would be any different. It seems that you should be able to set up a producer/consumer exchange between the PLC and the drive that is updated continuously. I would expect that COMREQs would only be used for data that doesn't need to be updated continuously.

If you're familiar with Genius, the continuously updated data would be analogous to global data and the COMREQ data would be analogous to datagrams.

Do you know Dave Simoneau, the regional GE Fanuc Applications Engineer? If not, send me a PM and I'll give you his contact information. He may be able to provide some assistance.

Similar to devicenet, if you get the GSD file from the Slave manufacturer, and load it in the Master's configuration, you will have everything that you need. Try not to make it more complex than it is. Proficy ME has excellent built-in help for configuring the master, provided it is the GE Fanuc master.

I have an RX3i talking to an Endress+Hauser Mass Flow meter and a GE S2K servo drive via profibus and, like previously mentioned, there were no COMMREQ instructions required. I had to get the .gsd files from the manufacturers and then configure the RX3i Profibus master and slave devices, but Proficy makes it pretty easy. Once configured, the data appears like local I/O. It is very fast and robust.

Go to "download" page, select "Other PLC Brands" and download "
zip.gif
[font=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]GEFanuc_Commreq_Wizard.zip[/font]