panelview help uploading

joeparrish

Ok I have a new laptop with now serial port. We installed a pcmcia card, and are haveing issuse's. We can get on line with rslogics, but not on panel builder 32. Can someone explain the way and the right cables to upload. This is for a panelview 550. It just has 1 rs 232 port.

joeparrish said:
Ok I have a new laptop with now serial port. We installed a pcmcia card, and are haveing issuse's. We can get on line with rslogics, but not on panel builder 32. Can someone explain the way and the right cables to upload. This is for a panelview 550. It just has 1 rs 232 port.

I believe the serial download cable for a PV is not the same as the DF1 cable for a SLC. Pins 2 & 3 are reversed

Joe, you will get better results when you put more effort into your posts on this Forum.

Read this: http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Post a followup with details you think a Forum member might need to assist you.

Remember also the cardinal rule of PanelView questions: Post the Part Number.

Correct spelling and punctuation, though often dismissed in the online world, are appreciated here by the regular and expert members.

page 12-44 of the panelview manual shows what looks like a standard null modem cable publication #2711-Um014C-EN-p

pins 2 to 2
3 to 3
5 to 5

joeparrish said:
So do I need a new cable or is there a way to change pins 2 and 3?

If you goto a local Radio Shack or some computer stores, look for a null modem or crossover adapter.

Curly stated the fastest way and its always handy to have a couple of null modem adaptors it'll save a lot of soldering in the long run as there is lots of equipment that uses null modems

joeparrish,
You HAVE to provide us with the complete cat. no of your PV to get a valid ansewer to your questions.

the programming cable for the pv 550 is 2711 nc13 or nc14
which is straight trough pin to pin connection and not the same as the cp3 cablewhich has crossover pins and if I remember correctly you use the 1747-aic/pic driver (but pic unit is not reqd) to download to panelview if the comms is dh485
here is connection diagram

Last edited:
Other posters have correctly pointed out that the cable between your PCMCIA serial card and the PanelView is a straight-through cable.

This is different (and simpler) than the 'null modem' cable used to connect to an A-B logic controller.

The driver you will use in RSLinx is determined by the part number of the PanelView terminal.

It might be DF1 Full Duplex, or it might be 1747-PIC/AIC+.

But that depends on the part number of your PanelView terminal. It's on the sticker on the back. It begins with "2711-", and the very last number is the most important one because it designates the communication protocol.