SLC 5/05 ethernet communication issue

bradal

I have searched for other threads matching this and found a couple but no real resolution. Here's my situation:

System has been running for years, recently power failed to the building battery was no good in PLC, lost program. Connected again and downloaded updated program, all is good. (sending new battery to them).

Days later the HMI RSVIEW32 stops communicating, I dial in and check. RSlinx cannot see the processor. I ping the address, all is good, I open explorer enter IP address, again all is good, can browse diagnostic information. The operator rebooted machine, I have started and stopped the service (RSLINX), with no results.

I am kinda stuck as to what might cause this, the program we downloaded is the local copy without any changes made, and it ran for days after. I am using RSlinx version 2.51. Any ideas??

If the power has failed, your general IP address disappears that was PROGRAMMED into the processor. (You did not indicate what processor was used by the way)
I would suspect another power fluctuation, we have numerous problems like this with heat and a certain 5/04.....although I expect that you are using a 5/05, or Ctlogix platform.
More information would be helpful.

I thought the title SLC 5/05 Ethernet issues would be a good description :)

Anyways I got the operator to cycle power to the PLC and it was faulted with an error "Unexpected hardware watchdog timeout or an ASIC reset occured".

Now I can connect and clear the fault. The new battery should be arriving there today so that may alleviate these problems.

bradal said:
I thought the title SLC 5/05 Ethernet issues would be a good description :)

Anyways I got the operator to cycle power to the PLC and it was faulted with an error "Unexpected hardware watchdog timeout or an ASIC reset occured".

Now I can connect and clear the fault. The new battery should be arriving there today so that may alleviate these problems.

Could be PLC starting to act up. We had a similiar problem a couple years ago with a SLC 5/05 losing its program about 1 or twice a year. Turned out to be water seeping in from a conduit dripping onto the Power Supply and CPU.

Sorry, my mistake.
As I said before, the processor is starting to have a problem, like indicated..heat, water....check the conditions. If all else fails and you keep losing your program due to unknown issues, either install a flash memory module and program to boot to Flash, or replace the processor.
$3750 for a new 5/05, $150 for flash.
Maybe for what it is worth, you should do both considering you are a long distance service unit....