SLC_5/04 to excell

mryoung482749

I have been tasked to extract data from a AB processor thats on Data Highway plus at 230.4 KBaud and capture 28 intergers in a file that are storing 24/7 trending data from a 7 machine cell. How do I get this data to a excell spreadsheet and understand it to make a pareto.

Last edited:
What software tools do you have access to?

Specifically, do you have a non-Lite version of RSLinx?

If so, you can search the help topics (within RSLinx any version) and search for the phrase "excel".

There is an example to get you started and very good examples at MrPlc.com

There are other options, depending on what you have to work with...

Paul

In your PM you said you only have RSLinx Lite.

RSLinx Lite cannot be used as a DDE server for excel which lead me to ask:

How often does the data need to be recorded?

There are many posts about working with Excel and PLCs via DDE. Oakie is correct in that RSLinx Lite will not work - it's not an OPC Server.

You are really far better off logging data to an SQL database than a text file for many reasons. For that, I would recommend FactorySQL. If you determine that going the Excel route better suits your needs, I would recommend using a data logging application that writes to .CSV files (like this from Software Toolbox). You would use Excel to manipulate the data (create your Pareto charts), but not to do the actual logging. Even in a database based system, it's typical to export selected date ranges and data to a .CSV file to use with Excel.

Excel's a premiere tool. My shovel works great for digging, but sucks as a screwdriver. Don't make Excel your datalogger - use it for what it's good at.

mryoung482749 said:
I have been tasked to extract data from a AB processor thats on Data Highway plus at 230.4 KBaud and capture 28 intergers in a file that are storing 24/7 trending data from a 7 machine cell. How do I get this data to a excell spreadsheet and understand it to make a pareto.