industrial controls book

Try this one

PLC_NEWBIE said:
Does anyone know of an good industrial control books. One that explains all the basic controls.....contactor, starts, etc....

Try this one.
I used it while teaching, they still do.
ISBN:0-8269-1663-5
Electrical Motor Controls "Automated Industrial Systems"
ATP Publication by Gary Rockis, Glen Mazur

It covers pretty much everything not just motors. Nice examples in a real life app.

If you have a copy of any current programming software RS logixs 500 or Step 7, they both have great instruction help and how the basic functions work and interact with discrete devices. Just a suggestion.

Electrical Motor Controls + Handbook

This one is very good. I used a much earlier edition, and the maintenance techs here at my new job are using it in classes held on site by our local vo-tech school.

I haven't had the chance to scan the newer one, but the edition I used was fantastic, and only $50.

Expensive? No, this one is well worth it @ $86 retail if it is anything like its predecessor...

It has an accompanying workbook with written and practical exercises.

You will learn to identify, understand, design circuits on paper, and build them from these two books.

When you are done, you can read most any electrical ladder diagram completely, see exactly how timing relays work, understand the workings of overload relays...and the list goes on

Everything a maintenance tech needs to be functional on the job was covered quite thoroughly with regard to electrical controls and hardwired logic, with articles exposing the reader to PLCs, VFDs, engineering as a profession, and on and on and on.

Can't say enough about this book.
Paul

OkiePC said:
This one is very good. I used a much earlier edition, and the maintenance techs here at my new job are using it in classes held on site by our local vo-tech school.

I haven't had the chance to scan the newer one, but the edition I used was fantastic, and only $50.

Expensive? No, this one is well worth it @ $86 retail if it is anything like its predecessor...

It has an accompanying workbook with written and practical exercises.

You will learn to identify, understand, design circuits on paper, and build them from these two books.

When you are done, you can read most any electrical ladder diagram completely, see exactly how timing relays work, understand the workings of overload relays...and the list goes on

Everything a maintenance tech needs to be functional on the job was covered quite thoroughly with regard to electrical controls and hardwired logic, with articles exposing the reader to PLCs, VFDs, engineering as a profession, and on and on and on.

Can't say enough about this book.
Paul

The book mentioned above by okiePC is the earlier edition we were using in class.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Motor-Control-Moberg/9780773051904-item.html?ref=Search+Books%3a+%2527g+moberg%2527

This book was required when i went to school. Funny enough the Author was my motor controls teacher..A very smart man indeed.
He was also involved in writing the motor control section of our canadian code.
He was also an electrical inspector in my area.

He had an excellent way of teaching..He would have post it notes as his course..he would sit on the desk in the front of the class and recount his working days..nice and relaxed and most of us could relate..during an exam there were 2 marks...100% or 0%..as he said it works or it dosnt..

good book, great teacher
shame he passed away 2 years ago

Gerald Moberg was his name..