1747uic problem

phish13

I have a older laptop dedicated to the maintenance dept. and when trying to connect with the 1747uic it doesn't seem to identify it with a com port. It just shows up in the device manager as a usb device. I have searched a bit for the same problem and have not found a solid solution. I am just wondering now if I should be thinking that the device itself is faulty as the instructions are simple enough. Or if there are other directions I should be looking in. I should mention that I was trying to connect to a slc 3.

See this thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=34453

The SLC5/03 has a serial port also, why not use it to connect to your SLC.
All you need is a null modem cable and RSLinx's DF1 driver or the 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver if the port has been configured for DH485. You will need a real serial port on your computer for this 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver.

thanks for the help, but the serial port is being used for a panel view hmi currently. I can disconnect to communicate but would much rather connect via the open 485 port. I did see that thread and the only thing I did miss was the coupling before powering up the pc. So I'll try that later as I am on a afternoon shift. Thanks again and any other input is welcomed.