help getting online with rs 500

joeparrish

Ok we have Alot of plcs at work all of them are micro 1500 or slc 500. On the micros I go to rs linx config the driver, rs232 dfi, then go to rs who. It shows the plc. Then I go to rs 500 click tools click the driver. Then click go online yet it says no response, then I open the file then click go online and it works. what am i doing wrong.

With the SLC just open your program and use the drop down arrow (on the left) and choose go online.. you may have to do it twice sometimes linx has issues changing from PLC to PLC, but it seems you are making this more then you need to

Or I don't understand the question/issue... :)

I am not having a problem getting online with the slc 5oo's just the micro's and the slc 500 have a differnt driver they use a 1747-pic so I have to do the hole rslinx thing

By 'Tools' I believe you are referring to 'Tools - Options - System Communications'. I would recommend not using that method.

Try the 'Comms - System Comms' menu selection. That will give you a 'RSWho' type screen. Selct and expand the driver. You should see the available CPU's on the right hand screen. After clicking on one of them you should be able to sucessfully select 'Online'. But I would prefer to open the file first so that the comments are available.

RSLogix500 and RSLogix5 “remember” the Driver and Node settings which were used in the last online session ... sort of like a “last number redial” feature on a cell phone ... when you open the correct file you are probably resetting the Driver and Node entries to the same settings that were used when that particular file was last saved ...

redial.JPG

keep your eye on the circled settings the next time you have to jump through those “go online” hoops ... this should give you a good idea of what’s going on ...

another more systematic way of getting online is to always click “Comms” (as shown above) and then click “Who Active Go Online” ... this should bring up a special window for RSLinx ... you should be able to navigate through that window and select the processor that you want to go online with ...

worse case scenario: you get in the habit (rut) of simply clicking “Go Online” every time you hook up without ever checking the Driver and Node settings ... in a networked system this can be very bad ... it’s quite possible to plug a DH+ cable into the front of one processor - and then “go online” with another processor over the network - based on that last number redial feature ... ooops! ... bad things can happen when you subsequently do something drastic like force or toggle a bit, etc., etc. in the WRONG processor ... legends are made of stuff like this ...

final thought ... if RSLinx doesn’t have the correct driver settings dialed in, then you’re STILL going to have to jump through some hoops anyway ... in confusing situations, it’s usually best to get RSLinx “talking” to the processor BEFORE you even start up RSLogix ... then the “Comms” and “Who Active Go Online” approach will usually keep you out of the woods ...

PS Edit ... congratulations, Bernie ... you win again ...

Last edited: