Rockwell Ethernet

antoine

Hi all,

Is it possible to configure the ethernet port of a control logix PLC to receive a raw ethernet message.
It means just dumping from incoming buffer to memory a block of data coming from a specific IP address.

This doesn't involve any application protocol (such as modbus or so) it is only basic TCP/IP messaging.

Basically, it would be similar to the "Winsock" functions used under VB.

Any information is welcome

Antoine.

Yes its possible.

I had made inquiries about this just recently here:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=12191

I am still preforming my project which is integration of a vision inspection/part inspection PC to an existing control logix line.

We are using a software called Sherlock to do this.
Sherlock must be commandedto read and write to the to the PLC memory locations; whereas the PLC can only write to the "outputs", but the inputs are automatically read.

Sherlock essentially is the control here, where the PLC is just acting as memory locations. It is a bit disheartening to me that I am unable to "force" bits in the Sherlock program, but we are proceeding well.

I know that you need to make sure that port 44818 is in use by your TCP/IP messaging, and everything needs to have the same CIP messaging system.

-joe

----------

on a side note, if any of the above information is wrong, please let me know... i by no means am an expert at this stuff.

Just want to make sure you got this correctly:

- 1756-ENBT can't use RAW ASCII data
- 1756-EWEB can using open socket interface

I know that you need to make sure that port 44818 is in use by your TCP/IP messaging, and everything needs to have the same CIP messaging system
This is very misleading statement. Even ENBT can accept message on port 44818, this message must be in CIP format that requires multiple messages to handle session and data correctly. It is very complicated task to write CIP driver in VB.

Just get EWEB module and it will do exactly what you need.