dh+ opc server

Amr Hassan

i need to connect 2 wincc flexible workstation to AB plc on a DH+ network .i am intending to use an opc server on each workstation

my questions are :

what ab hardware , additional components is needed.
is it possible to use 2 opc servers on the same bus.

please recommend an opc server and give me an estimation on the price
\thanks

You need to purchase a 1784-PKTX card and RSLinx OEM (dont know the current type number). Be sure that a full-height (but half-length) PCI card can fit in the PC.
There is no problem with using 2 PCs with OPC servers on the same DH+ network. But keep in mind not to overburden the network. DH+ may start to be at the limit from 7 stations on the net, depending on the amount of traffic per station.

hi Jesper , you are "weclome" lol.

This is something like simatic net i guess ?

The opc server provider asked if PLC’s are connected via Ethernet, Serial or PKTX , frankly i do not know , all i know it is DH+ and i am using the 1785-bcm modules. could u tell how could i know that?

Yes you will need a 1784-PKTX card, and RSLinx OEM.
RSLinx is indeed like Simatic Net. Only it is a bit easier to navigate. :)

1785-BCM , backup communications module.
As far as I know (very little) it is used to provide redundancy for RIO and DH+ with 2 PLC processors.
I think that it works completely transparantly to the outside world, switching between the 2 PLCs on the fly. And that I think means that for you (and the PC with the PKTX card and RSLinx) it looks like 1 PLC. Better verify with someone who knows more than me.

Cheers, and gdoo lcuk.

dear Jesper

What u have mentioned about the bcm module is exactly what i know about it . but how do u know it is pktx?

1784-PKTX is a PCI card (notice, the old PCI standard, not PCI extended !), and it supports both RIO and DH+ (and even DH485 but that is irreevant to you).
I am 99% sure that you need a DH+ connection to the PLC(s).

edit: To keep the comparison with Siemens products, then an AB PKTX card is similar to a Siemens CP5611 card.

Last edited: