Encoder Feedback Switching

jrhunior

I have an application where I am using PowerFlex 700S VFD's (main / standby) driving SEW VDL motors (main / standby). Load side contactors are used to allow either VFD to drive either motor.

The application requires me to use Stegmann encoders on the motors and the Stegmann feedback card on the VFD's. The encoder + shield is 9 wires and the customer wants to switch the signal wires to allow the encoder to feed the driving VFD. Does anybody know of any documentation stating this is not recommended, or know of the best hardware to use to switch the signal wires?

Thanks

I've used successfully encoder splitter board by BEI to split incremental encoder signal to different destinations. It might work with Stegmann encoders.

PaulB

I would use a gold plated relay to switch the encoders. I have never heard or read of any documentation saying that it's not OK.