Need Micrologix RSLogix Help

R_Stone

I need a few words of guidance.

The owner thinks all PLCs are the same. Therefore I should just innately know how to program them all. Well I have a material handling project that I have to convert from an AB Pico to an AB Micrologix. I have started this, but I need a little help with addressing. I am getting stung by not specifying my addresses to the bit level. Can anyone give me a short briefing or point me to something that I don't have to dig through. I basically have until COB on Friday to get this thing installed, programmed and running. Nothing like pressure.

I know, I know, I'm supposed to search and find all this out for myself, but I am up to my neck in various projects and would appreciate any sage help.

Robert

:site:

are you just having trouble with the syntax ("spelling") of the addresses? ... the easiest way to nail down those issues is to open the input and/or output data tables and click on the bit that you're interested in ... the screen will then tell you exactly how that bit should be addressed ...

syntax_b.JPG

also you can just click and drag from the data table directly to your ladder logic ... that eliminates the "fat finger" issues that are so common when you're first getting started with a new system ...

My biggest problem seems to be timers and counters. Are all timers addressed like T4:0 and counters C5:0? Then how are the resulting contacts from said timers and counters addressed.

Robert

Adding to the advice of my esteemed colleague Ron,

In the data table look right below the addess he has circled in the picture in post 2 for the selected bit. There you will see a field named Symbol.

When translating PLC programs from one platform to another I find it very helpful to define a symbol for each of the addresses. The symbol name I choose is designed to mimic the address used in the original program. Your PICO program designates inputs as I1, I2, I3, etc., outputs are Q1, Q2, etc., internal bits are M1, M2, etc. Place matching names in the symbol name in the appropriated datat table in RSLogix500, for example, I might put "I1", the PICO input address, as the symbol name of input I:0/1. Also, while you are at it, add some descriptive text in the Desc field to help you remeber what each point does. Now when transposing the program, use the symbol names you entered as the instruction address, and RSlogix will automatically insert the matching address.

Last edited:
Alaric said:
Adding to the advice of my esteemed colleague Ron,

In the data table look right below the addess he has circled in the picture in post 2 for the selected bit. There you will see a field named Symbol.

When translating PLC programs from one platform to another I find it very helpful to define a symbol for each of the addresses. The symbol name I choose is designed to mimic the address used in the original program. Your PICO program designates inputs as I1, I2, I3, etc., outputs are Q1, Q2, etc., internal bits are M1, M2, etc. Place matching names in the symbol name in the appropriated datat table in RSLogix500, for example, I might put "I1", the PICO input address, as the symbol name of input I:0/1. Also, while you are at it, add some descriptive text in the Desc field to help you remeber what each point does. Now when transposing the program, use the symbol names you entered as the instruction address, and RSlogix will automatically insert the matching address.

When I try to use I1 as the symbol for I:0/1 it says that it is an invalid symbol is an address or is a constant. Hmmm..

Robert

šŸ™ƒ

Letters I, O, and S followed by only a number are invalid (I think because issues with older AI programming products.)

Try I_1. Then be consistent througout the process so you always know how to transpose the address symbol. ie I_1, Q_1, M_1.

Once you have the new program created and the PICO is in the trash can you may want to go back and edit the symbol names to something meaningful (I make my symbols and electrical drawing tag names match). Or if the system is very simple and you can easily remember what each one is then just skip to whatever symbol name you want. The symbols and comments are not stored in the PLC but only in the offline file, so you can do this after you get the machine running without the need to redownload the program.

Robert,

The help files are very good in Logix

I know you are short on time.. so the help files may save you some time

Try help on the top of the program then SLC Instruction help and click on a topic