Rockwell

bosssmeg

1 day to go to get ready for a FAT test. Nearly finished software. Tweaked windows for something annoying and ... RSView ME does not work anymore. Rang RS after wasting 2 hrs reading through factory talk ****. Seems there is a tech note out on how to uninstall me5. I now have to uninstall half of my pc to get back to where I was this morning. Guess what? I am going to be late now. And now the rant.

Why do we not have a choice to sign on to factory talk or not? on my laptop, I don't need it, so why? Could it be greed? Could it be trying to lock us up tightly?

Why does Rockwell presume that my laptop was designed just to run rockwell software only? Why do I have to have a myriad of resource draing services running by default? Opt in instead of opt out?

Why do we have to pay money to find out what is wrong with their software and/or products? Look at the sticky buttons? We all found out the hard way. Somebody drops the ball, does rock-hell fess up to it by offereing a product recall or safety bulletin? Did anybody consider the safety aspect of it all? I had 3 cases where I had to go back to site downgrading firmware. Somebody could have been hurt bad. And, unless you paid money to find out what is wrong, you didn't know. The patch wasn't even posted publicly!!

Remeber the versaview hard drives? Beta-testers? I am soooo fed up with these greedy, non-understanding, live in their own world, can't even call them engineers.If it wasn't for their sales team doing such a hard sell on end users, I would have left them a long time ago.

Yes there stuff is good but is it worth the pain and when do we stop paying through the nose for it? When do they start helping us by picking up the cost of their failings on our sites? Why don't they start testing stuff themselves instead of letting us do it in the field? Why pay premium price for not so premium service or product?

Last edited:
Looks to me like it is your lack of education/training and ability to work with the products that is the real issue.

Ron by your lack of sympathy and understanding it is clear that you havn't had much experience with the "new generation" of RA products. I work with a team of educated and trained PLC professionals, RA can drive the best of them up the wall.

Steve

Looks to me like it is your lack of education/training and ability to work with the products that is the real issue

Looks to me like you've never extensively used the software in question, otherwise you'd maybe have a little more sympathy.

I can't think of many other software packages that have caused me to nearly un-install half of my operating system to recover from a problem it created...

Not ranting...just speaking from experience (or is it just my lack of education talking!!!)

Nothing personal. :)

I'd personally recommend imaging the hard drive once everything is set up properly.

I've used Norton Ghost 10 and it works great, though there are other good ones out there.

That would save you tons of time. :)

Good Luck!!!

Unwelcome back.

Remember me, bosssmeg ? You once recommended that my guts be fed to wolves for the sin of working for Rockwell Automation Sales.

You'll probably be satisfied to know that you are personally one of the reasons cited by the RA legal department in shutting down the RSI forums. To paraphrase: "That's why we can't have anything nice around here."

It would be OK with me if you made this thread your last post on PLCTalk.net. Your participation in other forums meets the definition of poison.

Mark Buskell said:
I think I am going to stay away from this post.

Hey Mark... does this mean you will not be reading it either?

Threads like this, kind of suck :) they help no one... but sometimes they do make you laugh

---------------------------------------

Just took an apple pie out of the oven would anyone like to try a piece ?

Ohhhh looks like I hit a sour note or two. First of all read doc 45297. Now if it was my lack of education, RA would not have a tech note out A-hole. I had to uninstall CPR9. Ken, I seem to remember I started a thread for similar reasons and all my questions went unanswered then. I also recollect that it was a certain weasel who brought the thread down and reccomended certain feeding desires. I was the one who lost $1,000's in the unmentionable Tosh-episode. I am also one who lost money flying about downgrading firmware. All I am saying is how about helping us with bulletins etc or is that a liability too? And perhaps having software less demanding upon resources.
If I previously and personally upset you, I apologise. Point being, somethings have not got better since those days.
I wondered if anybody remembered the name? :)

I had to look it up...

for everyone elses benefit Q.E.D. "quod erat demonstrandum" (literally, "which was to be demonstrated", and figuratively, "I rest my case"

I think I can guess which one Ken is refering to.

Ken - I sense bad juju here and will avoid the technicalities like the plague. Again, you're a great guy and everyone here knows it. My question is, how do you guys have such a history? He's only posted twice under this account - both here.

What cracks me up is after all the complaining, complaining, complaining, he says that your software is good. Even after the complaints were supported by 2 other posters! Bosssmeg - that's the great thing about capitalism and a free market economy. If their software sucks, don't buy it. If you like it, go right ahead.
Little Timmy, even you can make a difference! Since Ken's livelihood depends on the software's success - it is in his best interests to provide positive support and have the best possible product. In fact, he advises here frequently, for free, against the recommendation of his superiors, and partially on his own time. You can raise specific issues about the software, but you'll have a hard time convincing anyone here that Kens intent is not genuine.

Sorry you got burned. I happen to agree with a subset of what you said about FactoryTalk. Back to what I said about buying software - it's the core of the application you purchased. Turning it "off" probably isn't even a sensible statement. Don't buy a Dodge then complain about your favorite part, the Hemi.

Ken Roach said:
Remember me, bosssmeg ? You once recommended that my guts be fed to wolves for the sin of working for Rockwell Automation Sales.

You'll probably be satisfied to know that you are personally one of the reasons cited by the RA legal department in shutting down the RSI forums. To paraphrase: "That's why we can't have anything nice around here."

It would be OK with me if you made this thread your last post on PLCTalk.net. Your participation in other forums meets the definition of poison.

Last edited:
My two cents. You cried like a baby over the problems you had with the Versaview hard drives back then. If they are so awful, why are you still using them? Just switch to another brand. Sounds like your just blowing smoke to give yourself something to complain about

Besides which, Rockwell doesn't MAKE the Versaview's. They are just rebranded products, that are available from many other sources (for less cost, and more configurable).

Rockwell also doesn't make Hard Disk Drives. I remember those vile threads... hope they don't appear here.

I have been here 5 yrs or more, this the only thread that I have seen here from bossmeg and all he is doing is whining. Most of what he has mentioned has been discussed here over the years and there are ways to get relevant information from AB when they post it.

To all those that took it as a personal insult, so be it, it must apply.

I am not worried about the issues with RSL5K and/or its difficulties. It is about being professional enough to make an effort to learn about what you are working with. 5 minutes of searching on this and a couple other forums addresses all those issues.

This thread was started as a derogatory rant meant to do nothing but bash AB and worse, its employees, and provided nothing of a topic to address any issues.