Different Ethernet Subnets, The same switch

HansAndersen

I have two Siemens PLC stations that have different ethernet subnets on the same ethernet switch (Scalence).In this situation,I transfer data between each PLC stations using Intouch scripts .But I want to transfer some data via PLC transfer operations.For instance,Is the AG_send,recive possible or not.
How to do that.

thanks in advance

Subnet

The plc will send their requests to the gateway adress if the receiver is not in the same subnet. You need to separate the subnets using a router or a bridge to connect them.
(I'm not shure what will happen if the gatewayadress is the other plc. If it is possible, I think a lot of unnessesary traffic is generated at least)

Bardes

form the way you worded it it sounds like your using a non-vlan switch

in order for 10.1.1.2\24 to talk to 10.1.2.2\24 you will need a router to connect the networks

(since you don't have vlans broadcast trafic is going to all switch ports)

if you do have vlans corresponding to your networks then it'll make routing between them easier

but you should really consider moving all PLC's into one network/vlan with IP's corresponding to the network

BTW the /24 that I put after the IP's repersents the subnet mask
/24 = 11111111.11111111.11111111.00000000 = 255.255.255.0
this way of indicating the mask makes for less 255's

Last edited: