Concurrent Activation

infineum

I just purchased a copy of FactoryTalk View Studio (formally RSView Studio). It came with a concurrent activation. Per the RA website, this product supports node locked or concurrent. Since I do all of my work on a laptop with little network connectivity, I do not desire to setup an activation server. I have a number of products (RSLogix 5000, etc.) on my laptop as a node locked activation using a USB dongle. I contacted my distributor and Rockwell to try to get my activation changed to node-locked. They keep referring me to procedures to rehost. I do not believe that this procedure will change my activation to node locked. Can anybody help me or lead me in the proper direction?

Hi,
I'm not really understand what "node locked" and "concurrent" activation stands for. All I know - old fasion activation - using master disk and new way of activation - using software serial # plus ID code of either: USB dungle or hard drive or PC board. The new activation procedure require submitting of the SN and one of ID codes to A-B activation center. Based on that, they are sending activation file. Activation file has to be placed into specific subdirectory on PC. As long as the specified hardware (the hardware which ID was sent) exist within PC and file is in correct folder, Rockwell software is active.
Also there is a way to make old facion activation to be stored on USB flash drive ( kind of hard key)

Concurrent

There is a big difference between concurrent and node locked activation. The node locked activation is very similar to the old activation method except you lock the acitvation to a component on your computer such as a hard drive or in my case a USB dongle. As long as I have the USB dongle and copied all of the acitvations into my Activation folder everything is OK. I really do not fully understand concurrent activation but I see this method more as a means to provide floating activations to other computers on a network from a server. I guess that you check out activations as you need them. I use RSView studio to develop applications for both panelview plus and SCADA systems on my laptop. The concurrent acitvation method would work better on an RSView engineering station attached to servers and clients on a network.

My experience of concurrent licenses generally means you buy 3 or 4 (or several licenses) that can be used 'concurrently'.
When a user cranks up the software it goes and checks out one of these licenses. If they are all 'checked out' then no-one else can use the software until someone checks their license back in by shutting down their application.

Recently I've called to tech. support and alone with some info I was looking for, tech. guy mensioned RSView server/client architecture. Among multiple benefits of it, he also mentioned possibility of having floating licences. For example you may checkout licence from licence server from any licence clients and after finishing check it back in. I'm not sure if that is what you are asking for.

Client/Server

I agree that the concurrent license make a lot of sense for a distributed RSView system with server(s) and clients. But I am just using RSView studio for development on a laptop isolated from the system. The node-locked license works for me, I just do not know how to change my license from concurrent to node-locked