PLC printing

micahg

I have a project that needs to be able to print a small peel and stick label which would include time date and a 4 digit code indicating the operator at the station when the part is produced. This label is to be put on the part before it is boxed. I don't need a barcode and the label must be small no more than 2" by 1". The PLC will be allen bradley micro, slc or compact logix, (price may determine this). The PLC needs to direct the printing, sending ASCII or whatever. What I need to know is have any of you done this sort of thing and if so, what brand of printer did you use and how did you communicate? Also I'll be using a Panelview of some sort. My problem is this project was handed to me on short notice so any help would be appriciated.

mg

Why not print direct onto the part? we use a variety of printers, ink and lazer, for galss alu and cardboard. these can be integrated tot eh PLC if needed or standalone. Check out Hitachi and Raymax for starters

Cheers
Peter

The device I am building will be added to an existing machine, the part is iregular shape and the lable needs to be inserted between ribs and the customer wants it there making it difficult to print directly. I'll check out the manufacturers you suggested and see if they make what I need. Thanks..

mg

I have a computer read the PLC and then handle printing to a Sato label printer. A bit complicated but I have lots of control over the print format (Barcodes, lines, different fonts, . ... no problem). Sato makes very robust industrial printers ie: not cheap. A company called Jet Label in Alberta custom makes our labels and sells printers. I saw another company use a Dymo printer (inexpensive printer) which used small sticky labels for paint cans. No PLC used though.

Steve.

Actually I looked on the DYMO web site and they have what they call a serial RS232 ASCII lable printer, (DYMO LabelWriter SE300 ASCII label printer). Looked good to me but when I conversed with the person on their chat box and asked them about using a PLC they said "computer only". I don't know if that means they knew what a PLC was or of they were only covering themselves. Anyone know if this would work? The web site said: "connects to any computer or device that can provide output to a standard ASCII printer"

mg

I glanced at the manual for the Dymo SE300 and it looks useable with a PLC. I've done some ASCII stuff in CLx so I'm sure it can be done that way but I haven't done any ASCII in the older A-B PLCs.

Good Luck :)
Steve.

The Dymo printer will work for what you want to do. The printer is a Dymo se300. You can either set it up on point I/O or the serial prort on the slc plc. If you end up making it work can you tell me how you build the string? I am working on a similar project and am a little confused how to build the string to send out. Rockwell has no support on this type of action.

If you use the Dymo or any other RS232 printer all you need to do is have the PLC send out ASCII strings.

On AB SLC, config the serial port to USER mode and look up the ASCII control instructions in the help file. Also read the printer manual for control code (line break, bar code, etc)

As far as what string will look like on printer, just practice using Hypertermial with a PC to send string out to printer until it looks like the way you wanted then use that same set of string in PLC.

Thanks, I'll most likley go with the Dymo. Thanks for you help, my project is getting closer (a couple of weeks or so) and I'll post back later with code if I make it work.

mg