RS-232 Port on SLC 5/03's / 5/04's

Dave McGlynn

Hello,

I have a situation where I'm using an AB SLC 5/03, and I'm using the DH-485 port for a network of panelviews, and I typically use the RS-232 port for a link to an AIC+, and then out to a different DH-485 network, which eventually leads to a data-collection computer.

Well, I also have an engraving machine, that only spits ASCII data out of it's serial port. So, my question to all of you is,

Does AB make a card that will allow me to have another RS-232 port?

Or if I use the original RS-232 port for my engraver, is there a card that will allow me to link the SLC to my other DH-485 network?

I've searched on AB's website all over, but couldn't find anything..

Thanks,
-Dave

Re: Use port multiplexor

Jiri Toman said:
Use MuxiPort to split the RS-232 port on the SLC 5/04. It will give you the ASCII as well as DF1 capability you are looking for.
www.tomantron.com

It looks like this device only lets you use DF1 and ASCII, .. but I need DH-485, right? .. or does the SLC use DF1 between itself and the AIC+ ..?

I think the simplest thing would be to use an A-B 1747-BAS or Prosoft MVI46-GSC module to interface to your ASCII engraver device. That will leave your existing two DH-485 networks in place and put the burden and complexity entirely in ladder logic and a specialty card.

The MuxiPort would be ideal if your second port was strictly DF1, not DH-485. To use it in this application you'd also need a 1747-KE module to convert from DF1 to DH-485, which will increase your cost, size, and complexity.

If you were using DeviceNet, I'd have a handful of suggestions for you, but we'll leave that topic for another day.

The 1747-ke DH485/RS232C interface module has a config, DF1, and a DH485 port on it (2 9pin ports-config & DF1).

Last edited:
1747-KE

Everything I'm finding online talks about using this card with a modem.. Has anyone else out there got any experience with it?

Can this card be plugged into an AIC+ to give me an additional DH-485 communications port?

The 1747-KE converts between DF1 protocol and DH-485 protocol (that's why it has one port for each, plus one for menu-driven configuration).

DH-485 protocol uses some strict timing rules and therefore can't be run over a modem connection. That's why most uses of the 1747-KE are for systems that include modems; the DF1 protocol runs fine over asynchronous media like modem connections.

It was originally used for SLC-5/01 and 5/02 systems that had no DF1 serial port, and retains popularity for SLC-5/03,4,5 systems that are using their Channel 0 serial port for something else.

It's possible for you to hook up a MuxiPort to split your Channel 0 DF1 port into ASCII and DF1 ports, then connect the DF1 side to the 1747-KE, which then connects to your existing DH-485. That's a little more complicated than I like to make things.

Probably the Prosoft MVI46-GSC is the simplest solution to your "I need an ASCII port" problem.

Prosoft also makes an external 3 port expander device that connects to the DF1 RS232 port. The model number is 4102 or something close to that. See this LINK. It's about $500.00 less, however, I had a very hard time working with it. Looking back I know that the lower initial cost was lost in programming time.There are some other advantages to using the MVI46-GSC that Ken could probably point out.
There is also a 1746-BAS Basic module to add a port. I don't know anything about it, I have seen one, that's all.

Sid

Last edited: