Math with Float and Integer

chetezen

Can I use a math expression (such as cpt) with a mix of integers and floats in RSLogix500? I'm trying to do the following:
F8:15=F8:14/(N27:122*20)

Short and simple answer is Yes you can, no problem.

One 'gotcha' though, is it's best to specify all of your constants as floats if you do that, or it will perform some parts of the computation in integer math, and some in float, casting the result value to the target variable type.

In your case it wouldn't matter much, but I'd still use:
F8:15=F8:14/(N27:122*20.0)
instead of
F8:15=F8:14/(N27:122*20)

Oh, and the divide sign is a pipe symbol I think (Vertical bar) '|'

The making constants all floats doesn't matter much, as I said with adds and multiplies, but assuming N27:122 was 8, if you had:
(N27:122 | 10)
the answer would be 0 (integer divide).
If you had
(N27:122 | 10.0)
the answer would be 0.8

Your SLC must be 'floating point' capable, but yes, you can mix integers and floats.

rdrast- RSLogix500 made the integer constants into floats as soon as I accepted the rung.

int_float_2.gif

Last edited:
93lt1 - Thanks for the screenshot, I use both AI and Logix, so I always make sure to check that my constants are right. I wasn't aware that logix did an auto-cast

Hey,
Just wanted to let you know that it wors - just as you said it would. Just be carefull whit the integer being 0 - RSLogix does not like to divide anything by 0!! So, I just added a GEQ for the integer to be "1" or more before to the math.