MP270 connecting to a OPc-server

But i don't want the opc-server on the panel

We have a PC which is connected directly to the plc with ethernet.

On the PC there is a Scada program running, and we also have 3 mp277 which i would like to connect to the same database of the opc-server on the pc.
So the data-transfer with the plc is only with the opc-server ande with 3 panels too.

If the connection is via Ethernet, then why not simply configure a normal connection from each MP277 to the PLC ? Unless the MP277 are doing something exceptional, you shouldnt worry about bandwith.

If the connection is via Profibus, then it is a good idea to try and limit the busload.

I think there is a possibility to use the sm@rtaccess option, so that the panels use the PC as a kind of connection server. Mind you that this has nothing to do with OPC. There should be a similar WinCC Flex RT application on the PC together with the sm@rtaccess option to enable this solution. To be absolutely sure that this variant is possible (i.e. MP277 -- PC + WinCC Flex RT + smartaccess -- PLC) I would check with Siemens.
What I do not like about this solution is that if the PC loses the connection, or is simply shutdown, or whatever problem you can think of, all MP277 panels also lose the connection.

I suggest you put an industrially graded ethernet switch next to the 319F and branch out from that to all the MP277 panels and to the PC.

Jesper makes a good point about the data loss, but if you still want to use OPC there is an OPC communication channel already available in WinCC Flexible. Just set it up in the "Connections" settings.

RGB said:
Jesper makes a good point about the data loss, but if you still want to use OPC there is an OPC communication channel already available in WinCC Flexible. Just set it up in the "Connections" settings.

Upon selecting the OPC-connection, it clearly states only PC-runtimes can be OPC-clients. The MP's are going to be OPC-servers. The help-file also suggests this.
Since Dennis needs em to be clients, I think it won't be that easy.

In post #2 I said that InGears OPC servers will work on Siemens MP panels.
In post #3 Dennis said that he didnt want the OPC server on the panel.
So I think it has been debated already.

Hello,

I would like to ask, if anybody has expierence in connecting MP370 with Intouch using OPC Server via Ethernet. I set in device settings 'Act As OPC Server'.
Then in my PC I set in OPC XML Manager: Prefix (e.g MP370) and MP370 IP. Now the same prefix I put in Access Name in field Topic Name, and Application Name: OPC.Siemens.XML.
It didn't work, any suggestion what did I wrong ?

Last edited: