Alternitive for siemens memory card

Hello,

Does anybody know if you can us a normal memeory card for a siemens plc, because 300 euro for 4 mb flash card is abnormal!

Any cheaper solution is welcome.

Dennis

We all know that everything in the PLC business seems abnormally overpriced. Look at the average CPU (no matter which make or manufacturer) and compare the power of the microprocessor, the amount of memory, the complete absence of storage, the poverty of communications etc compared to the average PC. The specifications and the prices don't seem to match up. And Siemens' memory cards are just another example of that. And yet, Siemens will defend the cost of their memory cards (apparently they are specified for "industrial" use; apparently they use a "special algorithm" to rotate which cells are used to even out wear etc).

Do a search here for other threads on the subject and you will find people have discussed this and related issues in the past. But if you do manage to use a cheap memory card who do you turn to when something goes wrong?

Regards

Ken

If something goes wrong Siemens will not help me too, because i can't proof that it was the card that didn't function correctly.
So for that matter it doens't matter.
I just want to know if its possible or not, or maybey the siemens memory is really special and therefor so much overoveroverpriced.

Hi Dennis,

One of the guys working with me told me a while back that you can use a normal memory card and convert/change it format to work for siemens. Apparently all sizes siemens card are the same card, just configured differently.

I speak under correction and will try to find out when I see/speak to my colleague again.

With Siemens you can use only Siemens MMC card.
http://plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=21591&highlight=mmc+image

But you can use any MMC card with VIPA controllers http://www.vipa.de/en/home/
Features of VIPA System 300V
  • Programmable with WinPLC7 from VIPA
  • Programmable with Step®7 from Siemens
  • Integrated work memory - operation possible without additional memory card!
  • Integrated ROM memory for continuous saving of program and data
  • Integrated accumulator-backed RAM memory
  • Supporting standard MMC cards for saving of program and data....

A couple of years ago I worked briefly on an S7-300 with MMC. The engineer I worked with had a Siemens mobile phone for which he had several spare MMC's. He told me that he had successfully used a couple of those cards in the PLC. I didn't see this happen but would like to know if anybody can verify this.

Yes, there is a Cheaper Card its Made by Helmholz and they are 1/2 the price. McAps-inc.com

They also Sell replacement I/O for S7 and S5 that meet class 1 div 2. good stuff i would recomend it

Dennis de Jong said:
Vipa MMC cards are not cheaper then siemens.

Hello,

are you talking about VIPA MCC Cards or normal MMC Cards?
MCC Cards have totally different functions than SIEMENS MMC Cards!!!

MCC from MMC

are you talking about VIPA MCC Cards or normal MMC Cards?
MCC Cards have totally different functions than SIEMENS MMC Cards!!!
Is it possible to make Vipa MCC card from MMC card? Can somebody share WinHEX image of MCC card?

I suspect that siemens deliberately have some format that is different than any other type of card just so that you can't buy them anywhere else but I bet the real chips are standard just like their old Eprom cards for S5 these were just 2716 eproms on a card I built one on veroboard & the price difference £18.00 compared to £325.00!

Rediculous pricing of Siemens memory cards

There is a discussion on the Siemens S7-1200 forum about the pricing of the SD Cards.

This latest 1200 PLC series of Siemens has some bugs in the firmware.
A firmware upgrade is available for download for free, however the upload to the PLC has to be done by SD card.
The list price of the needed 24 MB Siemens SD Card seems to be € 250($ 350) while the list price of the plc's starts at € 150($ 211).

So, you buy a plc for € 150($ 211)and need to upgrade the malfunctioning firmware at the cost of € 250($ 350). (n)

https://www.automation.siemens.com/...spx?PageIndex=1&PostID=189947&Language=en#top