Project help

junkerjorg

I have been given a project to add an Infusion Feeder to a Dough Maker. We are using CompactLogix and AB PF drives. I am new to Logix5000 so I am not sure what is going to be the easiest way to accomplish this. With Logix500 I would just scale it with SCP and it would be fine. This feeder needs to run proportionally with all the other ingredients. Would a PID be the best solution? If so what would I use for the PV? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Any chance you can give a little more information on the relationship between the two?

Is it a straight speed match (mixer speeds up, infusion feeder speeds up)or is it a ratio? (Infusion feeder runs 1/2 speed of the mixer)

The infusion feeder will speed up and slow down, straight speed, with the major and minor ingredients and the water at a rate of approximately 11.4 lbs/hr. That would equate to 55HZ on the drive.

Thanks!

Can anyone help set up a PID? This will be my first. Here is what I can tell you.

I am going to be using an AB PowerFlex40 Inverter
My feeder is just a feed screw powered by the inverter
The screw feeds at 1.57 grams per minute
I will need to convert that to lbs per hour (I've already figured that one out)hz*grpm/28.85*60/6=lbs per hour

What other info do I need?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
If you dont want to use Pid. I would suggest just using the analogues on the drive. From the mixer analogue output to the infusion feeder analogue input. Set ur limits for the specific analogue signal (4-20, lets say 50hz at 20mA) and it should work accurately.

You could use the "compute" function to do your scaling, or you could used function block and do scaling there.

I figured out the PID and does it work slick! One other quick question though. I am going to be using a PowerFlex40 with a 22-COMM-E to control my drive. Is there anything special I have to do to send the function codes 03 and 06 to register addresses? Or is it just done by setting parameter P036 to 5?