RSView ME 4.00 (CPR7)

Alex Pel

Hi, I recently installed the RSView ME 4.00 (CPR7). It works fine, but in PanelBilder32 when I am loading its apps Windows Installer starts and tried to configure the RSView ME 4.00 (CPR7). After several minutes it asks RSView installation CD. Does anybody know what is that?

I had to install RSView Studio twice and factory talk twice too (or was it three times?). After the first installation, I was asked for the install disk several times too.

I am not sure it is related at all to Panelbuilder. My machine finally settled down and accepted the new software. It seems to run correctly for me now at least 80% of the time, and has not required re-installation or asked for the disks.

I have only used RSView studio for both ME and SE distributed applications about a dozen times since installation.

Each of those few times has led to varying levels of frustration and goofy errors.

I am not holding my breath, but hopefully the latest and greatest will be better (Factory Talk Studio 5.0). We just found out our support had expired, so after the boss coughs up ten grand to renew it, we will probably migrate forward carefully.

We now have a about 18 Panelview Pluses, so we are, unfortunately, stuck with some form of this awful software...

For the SE distributed stuff, we will probably switch to something reliable within a year or so. It is a high maintenance unreliable nightmare. So bad, they even had to automate the application of bubble gum and band-aids with "patch roll-ups".

I know it sounds like a fruity snack, but isn't nearly as pleasant.

Good luck
Paul

I’ve checked my .RnaD samples. All right. But still Win Installer starting particularly when PanelBuilder opening .PVA file.

OkiePC said:
I had to install RSView Studio twice and factory talk twice too (or was it three times?). After the first installation, I was asked for the install disk several times too.

I am not sure it is related at all to Panelbuilder. My machine finally settled down and accepted the new software. It seems to run correctly for me now at least 80% of the time, and has not required re-installation or asked for the disks.

I have only used RSView studio for both ME and SE distributed applications about a dozen times since installation.

Each of those few times has led to varying levels of frustration and goofy errors.

I am not holding my breath, but hopefully the latest and greatest will be better (Factory Talk Studio 5.0). We just found out our support had expired, so after the boss coughs up ten grand to renew it, we will probably migrate forward carefully.

We now have a about 18 Panelview Pluses, so we are, unfortunately, stuck with some form of this awful software...

For the SE distributed stuff, we will probably switch to something reliable within a year or so. It is a high maintenance unreliable nightmare. So bad, they even had to automate the application of bubble gum and band-aids with "patch roll-ups".

I know it sounds like a fruity snack, but isn't nearly as pleasant.

Good luck
Paul

Well that proves it wasnt just me then!

I had to drive 120 miles through a snowstorm one tuesday night just to reload SE Distributed when it cratered on a customers site.
I have a rather comprehensive 'Little Black Book' with all the correct procedures for getting RSView to behave properly depending what went wrong, something as simple as making changes to the project can hose it all up.
As said its a high-maintenance badly-designed nightmare product.
Gets us plenty of business though!

I feel sorry for the chip fab here that installed 14 pairs of redundant SE distributed servers and dozens of client stations.

Hi, I recently installed the RSView ME 4.00 (CPR7). It works fine, but in PanelBilder32 when I am loading its apps Windows Installer starts and tried to configure the RSView ME 4.00 (CPR7). After several minutes it asks RSView installation CD. Does anybody know what is that?
Here is a guess based on my experiences with Windows XP. I have noticed that if you have ever installed a program that defines a File Type (*.PVA for example), but then for some reason you remove the program but do not delete the file type (under Explorer, Tools, File Types), then the next time Windows encounters a file with that suffix, it will immediately take off trying to reinstall the program. Hxll and daxxxtion, :mad: it may even go online and search for the name of the program that created that file type! In many cases, Windows attempts to be too smart for our own good.

It is probable that PanelBuilder creates some file type that Windows thinks already belongs to RSView, so it immediately tries to load the appropriate program (even though it is not needed nor wanted).

Ok. I found: In Windows SERVICES there is WINDOWS INSTALLER (Installs, repairs and removes software according to instructions contained in .MSI files. ) When I stopped this “service” and tried to open my .PVA file with Panel Builder it starts again. The problem was solved only when I disabled that “service”.