Siemens S5-115U 941B

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello all. I have a machine down with an S5 system. It is a 115U -941B CPU. The problem is the CPU sees the inputs and is in run mode (Green light) but the outputs will not come on. Internally in the CPU according to the software the outputs are on, but the physical outputs will not activate.

It is like it is in a simulation state, but according to the lights and software it is in run state.

The output cards are 6eS5-451-7LA21

Any Ideas.

What type of output card is it?
Has the output card any LED indication; are they on or off?
Has the power supply to the output card failed?

The output card is a 32 pt. 24Vdc card. There are no LED lights coming on the output cards.

Lights are on for the input cards. In the PLC status it shows both inputs and outputs as being on.

Most likely the power supply to the output card(s) has failed as moggie already suggested as one of the possible causes for this behaviour.

Kind regards,

glenncovington said:
I changed the power supply, but still have the problem. All three voltage lights are green on the power supply.

You changed the Field I/O power supply, not the CPU power supply?
Ensure the card has 24VDC and that there is continuity from the
+ve and -ve 24VDC lead to the power supply

curlyandshemp said:
You changed the Field I/O power supply, not the CPU power supply?
Ensure the card has 24VDC and that there is continuity from the
+ve and -ve 24VDC lead to the power supply

?? I think he changed the CPU and not the field

If the CPU is powering up then there is not an issue there but the field is having the problem...

I think.. :)

oh hell I don't know :) just check all wires and see if you have power (on the left side :D )

glenncovington said:
It appears the problem was rectified by replacing the output cards.

Thanks for all the replies,

Glenn

Thanks for the update... you must of had a bad short to smoke all of your output cards

I have couple of things what you can check.
1) The 24vdc PowerSupply (-)minus must be grounded -> Sometimes if groud or negative is floating the outputs doesn't "work" properly.
2) Are the output cards in ExtensionRack? If Yes -> can you check somehow that InterfaceModule (IM) works fine?
------------
Pete 🍺