Red Lion G308 with ControlLogix EtherNet/IP

AlThePal

I'm designing a system with a ControlLogix L61 PLC monitoring 16 Point I/O racks using EtherNet/IP over a switched Ethernet network. I also have to pass data between the ControlLogix PLC and another SCADA system using Modbus TCP.

I've used the Red Lion G3 before and liked it a lot - I thought it would be an excellent fit for this job, both as an HMI and a protocol converter. However, we have run into a problem - we copy the data we receive from the Point I/O modules into an array of user-defined structures, to enable us to run the same PLC code against every machine's data. Using the G3's Allen Bradley Native Tag Addressing it does not seem to be possible to read data in arrays of user-defined structures, either by importing the .CSV file from RSLogix 5000 or by entering them directly.

Is there any way round this problem? If not, has anyone implemented this kind of job using a C-more panel?

I've read UDTs into C-more from the L5K file before with no problem.

I'm not sure I completely understand the protocol conversion aspect of this application that you mentioned. Do you need C-more to be a protocol converter? If so, do you need C-more to be a Modbus TCP client or server? C-more can only be a Modbus TCP Client.

cjh said:
I've read UDTs into C-more from the L5K file before with no problem.

I'm not sure I completely understand the protocol conversion aspect of this application that you mentioned. Do you need C-more to be a protocol converter? If so, do you need C-more to be a Modbus TCP client or server? C-more can only be a Modbus TCP Client.
This is where the terminology gets confusing... The SCADA system is the Modbus TCP Master, so I reckon this means the HMI needs to act as a Modbus TCP Slave/server. Is this not possible?

No, this is not possible. C-more only has Modbus TCP Client/Master functionality not Modbus TCP Server/Slave functionality.

We are working on the UDT and UDT array support. If you send me an email (dany at redlion.net), I could send you a BETA build of our software that should resolve your problem.

Regards,
Dan