Ab 6200 & 1784pktx

sbranley

S
Trying to configure a 1784-PKTX card to run with PLC-5 on AB6200 Software. Has anyone out there achieved this? If so what driver? Do you have a copy of the driver?

Kindest Regards,

I think the 6200 s/w predates the PKTX and so it is likely that no direct driver is available. I don't know the fine details, but the KTX (ISA bus) and the PKTX (PCI bus) have different setup parameters in RSLinx, so they must require different driver s/w.

If your 6200 is up-to-date(5.31 or thereabouts), you can use RSLinx as the driver. Adding RSLinx to the driver list was about the last 'enhancement' made to the 6200 s/w - around 5 yrs ago. This was necessary to enable running the s/w on NT, as none of the direct (DOS) drivers would work on NT. If you're running NT, 2K, or XP, RSLinx is your only option.

I tried it once on NT and it was r..e..a..l..l..y s..l..o..w . . .

In addition....

All the drivers for all Linx related "stuff" is located on the Linx CD! If AB or RS made a driver for it.. it will be there!

It can not be Linx Lite... :(

Have also tried 6200 with RSLinx on NT. And it was very slow.

Rather than tring to run 6200 on NT, try to use dual-boot with a Win95 or Win98 installed on the same PC with NT.

One thing that springs to mind: Maybe it is a better idea to try one of these Ethernet-serial converters that I have heard of but never tried.
MOXA NPORT for example (but there are others). The trick is that the driver for these makes a virtual COM port. In this way existing software (like 6200) can connect via the ethernet-serial converter.
In reality, there will be a ethernet connection from the PC to the locally placed ethernet-serial converter which in turn connects to the serial port on the PLC5.
In this way you get online connection with 6200 under NT, and an ethernet-serial converter is much less expensive than a PKTX card.