Communication between PLC and PC

Engineeren

Hi Everyone...

i want to write a program to communicate PLC and PC... i want to use an online plc simulator or softPlc instead of PLC hardware in this application for not purchase PLC.

is there any free softplc or online plc simulator which can be read datas(as digital output datas) by PC program?

Thanks

Last edited:
Communicate PC with PLC what for? Are you talking about Ladder Logic online editor? Good luck.
Buy the way, A-B has simulator and I'm using it ones in a while when no hardware available to write and test programs.

hi val,

i want to control PLC via my PC program so datas should be exchanged between PLC and my application. Exchanging datas can be possible between PLC hardware and my application via RS 232, Ethernet or BUS systems but i want to use an online plc simulator or softPlc instead of PLC hardware in this application for not purchase PLC so is there any free online plc simulator or free softPLC which permits to exchange datas between PLC and my application?

I'm having trouble understanding exactly what you are wanting to do.

I think that you want the PLC program and a PC application to both run on the PC (soft PLC), but in separate processes.

Even a soft PLC will eventually need hardware attached to the PC if you want it to control physical IO.

I give a lot of training on Beckhoff TwinCAT and show how to use it as a simulator, then further go into using Visual Basic to exchange data. Here is a video I made to get a start for using TwinCAT as a simulator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_nFE9wx8OM

I will eventally make the video on writing an HMI for TwinCAT using Visual Basic Express.

Thanks Archie...

Briefly, i search a free PLC emulator...

Could you please suggest free PLC emulator?(if it is for S7 200 or S7 300, will be better)

Thanks for your suggestions...

Last edited:
I guess you want to use PC as an Operator Interface terminal. Am I correct? The easiest way I guess - use of excell spreadsheet communicating via DDE and RSLinx or other PLC communication driver with PLC. I'm talking in A-B terms of course. As far as emulator, I don't know any free one.

hii Val,

yes, you are correct...

well, can i use "RSLogix" instead of PLC?if yes, can i communicate "RSLogix" with my application(program) via RSLinx?

No, RSLogix is used to program a real PLC.
Engineeren, your going to have to bite the bullet here and spend some money. You can buy a real PLC for about a $100 USD

HMI for TwinCAT with VB - that would be great!

Archie said:
Here is a video I made to get a start for using TwinCAT as a simulator:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_nFE9wx8OM

I will eventally make the video on writing an HMI for TwinCAT using Visual Basic Express.

Hi Archie,

I just watched the video - really great!
I could have saved many hours, if I had had this video in 2006 when I started to work on my Beckhoff home automation system!

Now I am currently trying to find and setup a visualisation for my CX9000 with some 200 I/Os (lights, blinds, heating...).
And although there are many companies out there producing specific HMI systems for Beckhoff, I haven't yet found the one that matches my key requirements, which specifically are 1) easy to setup & configure, with 2) a handsome look that is being accepted by my wife, and 3) at reasonable cost. :unsure:

Now I was told by Beckhoff sales people that programming with Visual Basic would be the best way to achieve my objectives, but I have no clue, how to start and get a VB program connected to my TwinCAT runtime on my CX controller via my LAN.
I know the VB basics, but I haven't yet found a tutorial how to include and use the "OCX" library that seems to be required.

So I am really looking forward to your proposed video for VBE as quoted above!

PS: I would also come along in one of your trainings - but the distance from Germany to the U.S. is somewhat cumbersome...;)

what i understand is, you need a free emulator.
You can write and execute your programe by using Logix pro. Its demo version is available but it has some limitations that you can not use the advance instructions.
logix pro is available on www.thelearningpit.com