1 ControlLogix processor for 2 chassis???

bcube79

Hello everyone! Any detailed ideas how will i be able to perform communication between ControlLogix modules installed in two 13-slot chassis (with 1 chassis having a ControlLogix processor and the other without)? What modules do I need?

You'll either need a 1756-ENBT in each chassis (ethernet communications) or a 1756-CNB in each chassis (ControlNet communications so you'll also need ControlNet drop cables and terminators and access to RSNetworx for ControlNet to configure them) It's very easy whichever way you decide to go.

You will not need any more hardware but you need to think carefully about which modules you fit in each rack. Digital IO is best grouped onto the "extension" rack as this can be set for rack optimisation and you might need to mount cards such as DeviceNet scanners on the "local" rack because there are limits to the size of the data blocks which can be transferred across ControlNet.
Andybr

aside from those two comm. modules, are there other interface modules to get the job done?

Were you hoping that there was a simple cable like there is for the SLC? Do you have any reason not to use the solutions that I mentioned?

If you do use either the ENBT for Ethernet/IP or the CNB(R) for ControlNet solutions, do realize that you will need an additional software package dependent on the way you go (Specific version RSNetworx).
There is a solution where you can use RIO and not have to have this additional software cost. It is much slower and not really utilized any longer as there are much better solutions (as mentioned above).

Oakley said:
If you do use either the ENBT for Ethernet/IP or the CNB(R) for ControlNet solutions, do realize that you will need an additional software package dependent on the way you go (Specific version RSNetworx).
RSNetworx for ethernet is NOT a necessity.

Andybr said:
You will not need any more hardware but you need to think carefully about which modules you fit in each rack. Digital IO is best grouped onto the "extension" rack as this can be set for rack optimisation and you might need to mount cards such as DeviceNet scanners on the "local" rack because there are limits to the size of the data blocks which can be transferred across ControlNet.
This isn't a problem when using the ENBT. It is with the ENET/B.
I have several systems with devicenet scanners in 'remote' chassis.

Bcube:

If you plan to use ENBT´s to comunicate your two chassises and you also want to communicate the whole thing to any supervisory system thru ethernet, it is recommended that you use another ENBT located in the cpu´s chassis only for the supervisory comm, but if you use a different approach to communicate the two chassises then you only need just one ENBT to talk to your SCADA.

hope this will help.

william