PLC5 and Remote I/O

cntrlfrk

I am having problems with an A-B remote I/O adapter that controls a VFD. It is a model 1203-GD1. The old one died, we set the dip switches on the new one and installed it but the 'Remote I/O Status' light continues to blink green.

The manual suggests:

a) PLC is in Reset/ Program/ Test Mode

It is not

or

b) PLC has more rack space allocated than is being used.

and suggested doing an 'auto-config'

All other RIO units on this network are working fine.

As long as the dip switches are properly set, I should be able to just swap these out, correct?

The 1203-GD1 is a pretty simple device, and the DIP switch settings have not changed (to my knowledge) in fifteen years.

What was the failure mode of the original 1203-GD1 ?

Did you try the auto configure?
It has been a while since Ive worked with those devices however they normally indicate a flashing condition when they detect the network however at least one configured device is missing. Maybe you set up for two devices manually in error or there is another device on your network that has faulted.

I agree, Auto Configure.

Auto Config should resolve the problem. Flashing green indicates it is detecting the network.

When I did a lot of PLC-5 work, I had one on the test bench and often connected -GD1's and other RIO adapters to it for Autoconfig tests, to verify that the DIP switch settings I thought I'd made were actually taking effect properly.

A couple of times I found that I had been using the wrong reference, had interpreted something incorrectly, or had not pushed the DIP switch far enough into position.

An Autoconfigure test will tell you a lot.

So, just to make sure I understand, if the dip switches are set the same as the module I removed, I shouldn't need to do an 'auto-config'? Just swap them and go?

Problem is an 'auto-config' requires stopping the processor. Not an attractive option at this point.

Thanks.

Yes, if the DIP switches are set the same as the module you removed, you should be able to simply install the new 1203-GD1 and connect it.

I recommended using a bench-test PLC-5 to perform the Autoconfigure because you're really checking the integrity of the DIP switches and the functionality of the 1203-GD1. If you don't have a spare PLC-5 or a bench test system, call your local A-B office and see if they can help you out with testing this -GD1. I haul out a PLC-5 a couple of times a year to test I/O and communications devices for my customers.

Ken Roach said:
When I did a lot of PLC-5 work, I had one on the test bench and often connected -GD1's and other RIO adapters to it for Autoconfig tests, to verify that the DIP switch settings I thought I'd made were actually taking effect properly.

A couple of times I found that I had been using the wrong reference, had interpreted something incorrectly, or had not pushed the DIP switch far enough into position.

An Autoconfigure test will tell you a lot.

Sometimes the DIP switches don't quite make it into position. I've taken to moving every DIP switch at least a few times before settling it in its final position. Hard to belive such a small item could mess you up so bad, but they can.

Thats correct actually I've had a brain twister once with a Dip switch that did not make contact even though it was in the ON position which created an incorrect address for a card.

Lucky for me the Auto Configure Pointed me in the direction that there was a node that should not have been there.