RMC70 class

SMOKE

Peter I see that there is a class in January for the 70 series RMC. I class says its custom or something like that. Can explain the difference between that one and others.

I'm sure Peter will post something but you can call Delta and talk to Brad. He does all the online trainging and some of the other classes too. The online classes are great but if your just getting started I would make the trip to Washington. I did RMC100 training there and it was great. You have a little extra time at the end of the second day to talk about your applicaiton. It was well worth it. I have also taken the online class for the 70 and it was very good as well.

Thanks for the reply. While I am posting about the RMC's, Ill ask another question if anyone would answer. We have several of the RMC 100's. They were installed and setup by another programmer before I came here. They are for hydraulic cylinder position control. He is doing something for a jog mode I would like to know if there is a better way. Works ok but if you dont have the count and speed just right the cylinders are jerky. There are 5 cylinders linked together.

I just got a RMC 75E that I am going to control servos XY. These seem like great little devices. I wish I knew about then at my previous job.

Last edited:
They are for hydraulic cylinder position control. He is doing something for a jog mode I would like to know if there is a better way. Works ok but if you dont have the count and speed just right the cylinders are jerky.

Most of the time jogs are done with open loop moves. Meaning you just open the valve a little maybe 5% or so. Are all the cylinders axis? If so are they all following a master? If they are following a master then it could be how they are setup for the gearing. Maybe he has a small number in the gear ratio. You can read more about this in the RMC help on gearing. It could also be geared to the actual position and should be the target position. Sometimes you have to follow the actual position because if the cylinder gets stopped you want the others to stop as well. But if you can the target position is the best to follow because it is nice and smooth. The actual position can be a little more ruff and this is maginfied in the following axis.

Keep in mind that the 100 is an older control using RMCwin. Your new 70 and the 150's use RMC Tools. These new controllers are much much better. They have made many improvements to the software that realy make them great.

SMOKE said:
Thanks for the reply. While I am posting about the RMC's, Ill ask another question if anyone would answer. We have several of the RMC 100's. They were installed and setup by another programmer before I came here. They are for hydraulic cylinder position control. He is doing something for a jog mode I would like to know if there is a better way. Works ok but if you dont have the count and speed just right the cylinders are jerky. There are 5 cylinders linked together.
There are acceleration and deceleration parameters in the commands that will allow you make the motion smoother if you reduce them. You may need to reduce the speed too. The trick is to use the same command for all 5 axes and you may need to use closed loop moves to do the jogs to keep all the axes aligned. This is easy to do in the step table.

I just got a RMC 75E that I am going to control servos XY. These seem like great little devices. I wish I knew about then at my previous job.

Jacob does much of the RMC75 support and support. He has an example program, that we can send you, that shows different ways to do XY type of moves. One can do constant time moves or constant feed rate or speed moves. It is easy. One step is all that is need to index through array of x,y positions and make the desired x,y move from point to point.

SMOKE said:
There are acceleration and deceleration parameters in the commands that will allow you make the motion smoother if you reduce them. You may need to reduce the speed too. The trick is to use the same command for all 5 axes and you may need to use closed loop moves to do the jogs to keep all the axes aligned. This is easy to do in the step table.

Jacob does much of the RMC75 support and support. He has an example program that shows different ways to do XY type of moves. One can do constant time moves or constant feed rate or speed moves. It is easy. One step is all that is need to index through array of x,y positions and make the desired x,y move from point to point.

Jacob does much of the RMC75 support and support. He has an example program that shows different ways to do XY type of moves. One can do constant time moves or constant feed rate or speed moves. It is easy. One step is all that is need to index through array of x,y positions and make the desired x,y move from point to point.

I would not mind seeing that myself. Can you post a link to it?

Good idea. I created a FTP directory for RMC75/150 files

Here is a link to a folder on our FTP site where I will put RMC75, RMC150 and RMCtools files

ftp://ftp.deltamotion.com/public/RMC75%20RMC150%20RMCTools/
You should be able access this directory and the files in it from your browser. You can import the .rmcprog files into RMCTools. It will automatically allocate the variables in unused memory

For those that don't have RMCtools there are .pdf files that show the two programs. Both programs are just one step long on the RMC75 and 150. The steps take less than 40 microseconds to execute. For those that are interested you can look at the wordcodes.pdf which is the internal code that is generated for the xyConstantSpeed program. There are actually two code listings. One has the code broken down into actions and transitions like IEC SFC programs do. The other shows the instruction timing in nanoseconds. We add up the instruction times to make sure that the user programs can run synchronously to the motion controller and still fit within the allotted scan time. Imagine a PLC with a deterministic 1 millisecond loop or faster.

Thanks Peter that is very cool. Have you done any kinamatics in the 150 yet? With all the math power in the RMC I bet you could.

CharlesM said:
Thanks Peter that is very cool. Have you done any kinamatics in the 150 yet? With all the math power in the RMC I bet you could.
The 150 is a new product. No one I know has used it for a robotic application with a arm, fore arm, write etc,........ yet.
Yes, there is very little we can't do with the math and the 300,000 point cam or spline tables.

Did you really look at the word codes and understand them? WOW!

Did you see the traffic light program? That was written by our young business major. See
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=225884&postcount=23
In the thread I didn't say the business major ( caveman ) cheated and used a RMC75 instead of a PLC.

Jacob does much of the RMC75 support and support. He has an example program, that we can send you, that shows different ways to do XY type of moves. One can do constant time moves or constant feed rate or speed moves. It is easy. One step is all that is need to index through array of x,y positions and make the desired x,y move from point to point.

Thanks for the info. I wont need to index through an array.
One location for the xy (I guess I should be saying yz) will come from a DVT camera the next location will be fixed in 1 of 2 places depending if the part needs to be flipped or not. The camera makes that determination.

Last edited:
Did you really look at the word codes and understand them? WOW!
I looked now understanding is another thing. I can tell what is going on becuase I see the event program going along with it.

One location for the xy (I guess I should be saying yz) will come from a DVT camera the next location will be fixed in 1 of 2 places depending if the part needs to be flipped or not. The camera makes that determination.

That sounds like a good application. Let us know how it works out.

I would like to know how that turns out.

When I was at the Rockwell Automation fair I made a point to see the DVT booth and I asked about this kind of application. I was interested in how fast the DVT camera could download points over Ethernet/IP and whether it could download load them in an array or just to a fixed set of locations. The only answer I got was that the rate of data transfer dependent on the processing required to compute the points.

You should be able to use the Ethernet/IP's I/O capability to download the positions into the variable table without the need for MSG blocks. The user program can then wait until it see these locations change and then move to that location. If this is a yz table I would think you would first want to move to the y position first and wait for the in position bit and move the z down then up and then go to the next y position. That would be much simpler but it would require 3 steps.

I would really like to know how the DVT interface works out. Our module is Ethernet/IP certified so it should be easy if the DVT can send data as I/O.
No PLC would be required between the DVT and RMC.

I would really like to know how the DVT interface works out. Our module is Ethernet/IP certified so it should be easy if the DVT can send data as I/O.
No PLC would be required between the DVT and RMC.
That is a good idea. Looking at the DVT web site they show ethernet I/O for inputs/outputs to the camera. My local distributor has a DVT event coming up. I don't know if its just local guys or if DVT will be there. I'll ask about it either way. It should be real fast going between the to.

Actually we have a test bench set up with a RMC 100 and a panelview so the techs can test our temposonic transduacers. (we have had some come back "repaired" that done work. they are internal to the cylinder and are a huge pain to replace) I have used the RMC as a AB PLC to message to the camera.
I concidered using the DVT's Ethernet I/O (it does have it) to do as you have suggested but it works better to grab all the yz points for an entire row of material. The Message is done with a simple Java type script. DVT has some ABRead/Write commands in the script tool.
There is a ton of other equiptment on this project and a PLC will be used.

Just as a note I might do future camera projects with a Cognex camera. since Cognex bought DVT I am afraid that the DVT end might shut down.