Siemens 535 Loop Controller ??

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hello all,

I have a customer wanting a cable for a "Siemens 535 Loop Controller" I told him if he could find the pinout I would make it

This is what he came back with, its an MMJ (RJ11 with an offset) and he was thinking,

DB9--MJM
4 ----1
3 ----2
? ----3
? ----4
2 ----5

Any ideas?? it would be apperciated... Thanks
Siemenssegid.JPG

Hmmm.... a "535"?

Knowing Siemens' part numbers that would account for about a fifth of a normal identification!

I can think of a CP 535, but that was an ancient Ethernet comms processor for the S5 system. I've no idea what the ports or pinouts were.

I can think of the 535 CPU inherited from TI. It had a 25-pin RS232 D-type port and a 9-pin RS422 D-type port. I may have records somewhere of the actual pinouts but I would really have to do some data mining to get these!

And when someone asks about information for a rare item, I always try transposing a few digits. This couldn't be an FM 353 rather than 535, could it? It is current, it's in the S7-300 range, and it could vaguely be referred to as a closed-loop controller for a stepper drive positioning system. Unfortunately, it has a 15-pin D-type connector!

Overall, I think this has to be about the most helpless post I've ever committed! Apologies.

Ken

Siemans Moore 353 Loop

Hi:

I am the customer who needs the cable for a Siemans/Moore
Model 353 Process Automation Controller or UM353-1.

Basically its a cable to communicate with the controller

DB9- DECMMJ

Anyother information would be appreciated

thanks

Is this the stand-alone 353 process controller? The one with the dial knob on the front face?
Siemens_353_face_plate.JPG

It is not a purple Procidia backplane mount unit, right?
Procidia.JPG

The 353 User manual, rev 11, is available from here:
http://www2.sea.siemens.com/Products/Process-Instrumentation/Support/Controller-User-Manuals.htm?languagecode=en

but only Siemens part numbers are provided for the configuration cables, no pinouts.

A search on MMJ11 displays only for the part number listings for the cables.

Page 285 (pdf); 14-3 (paper)

Communications Cable, MMJ11 to MMJ11, p/n 16353-61

Connects MMJ11 on adapter (connected to a personal computer’s serial port) to MMJ11 on a Display Assembly.

Select one of the following adapters, adapts personal computer serial port to above Communications Cable.

Adapter, DB25 to MMJ11, 16353-62
Adapter, DB9 to MMJ11, 16353-63

I'll see if I can't locate a wiring diagram from somewhere tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Dan

(y)

Oh Happy Ken!
Switching digits around always helps!
"535" indeed.
Let's face it, it wouldn't be the first time I heard someone refer to the rare and mysterious RS323 comms standard!

regards

Hi Mark,

Wild guess.....

Code:
MMJ	 PC D9 COMn 

RTS 1 ------- 8 CTS
TXD 2 ------- 2 RXD
COM 3 ------- 5 GND
COM 4 
RXD 5 ------- 3 TXD
CTS 6 ------- 7 RTS

and possibly..

|-- 4 DTR
	 |-- 6 DSR

Hi Jeff and welcome to our club :)

I knew that if anyone could help it would be these guys, but as I just started this cable manufacturing business... I have no idea of what I am doing, its kind of like paint by numbers for me :)

I have looked at the manuals that everyone has provided and Kevin's WAG looks good to me, but I am still not sure it would work.

If I were you, I would either contact Siemens or get the cable with a break out terminal similar to this one HERE, you can build it yourself.

As I said before, if you can give me the details I will build it, but I also don't want to waste you money nor your time for something that may or may not work.

Thanks
Mark
And thanks to everyone else for your help.

Info on MMJ connector (better than nothin' . . )

MMJ
Digital (DEC) created the MMJ connector. You can recognize it because the plastic clip is not in the center. It was a great idea -- the connections are simple, but no one else adopted the idea. The pinouts:

1 DTR (Data terminal ready)
2 TX+ (Transmit data)
3 TX- (Transmit ground)
4 RX- (Receive ground)
5 RX+ (Receive data)
6 DSR (Data set ready)
MMJ's use differential drive, just like RJ-45's. Funny enough, the RJ-45 to MMJ cable is the hardest to build . . .

MMJ ends and crimpers are hard to find. After hours of searching, I found that Ideal Industries sells them. The crimper is product 30-497, and a bag of 100 MMJ ends for round cable (Cat 5 is round) is product 86-393. I got mine at Michaels Electrical Supply (http://www.michaelselectric.com). Costs about $100 total.
source: http://www.stanq.com/cable.html#MMJ

Dan

krk,

Thanks for pointing that out. It was right in front of me all the time.

I did a pdf search of the manual on MMJ11, not MMJ, but did the web search on MMJ.

Well, case solved . . .

Dan