Mitsubishi Question

heckpalm76

I;m starting a project with a customer and he has already installed a mitsubishi plc Fx2n-48mt-ess/ul. Now I have to purchase a High speed counter for the project, the one that I have been looking at is a fx-1hc will this work with my project or do I need to purchase a FX2n-1hc. I have no experience with mitsubishi plcs or programming them. If this FX-1hc will not work please give me some insight on why it won't.

Still using good ol allen bradley.:geek:

Built in HSC

Hi,

Are you aware that this PLC has from 2 to 6 (depending on application) high speed counter inputs built into it? Do you really need to buy a card?

You would need the FX2N-1HC. The FX-1HC was for the older FX series PLCs, though it can be used with the FX2N via the FX2N-CNV-IF. But the FX-1HC is obsolete so you can't buy it new.

As mentioned already, the first several inputs on the FX2N can be used as high speed inputs. What kind of speed are you requiring?

the application that im going to be installing will be moving about 30" in around 2 to 3 seconds or even faster than that.

No I don't need to buy the card but like I said I don't know anything about the mitsubishi plc.

Will the internal HSC work at this speed.

You can purchase anything on EBAY!!

I didn't include everything in my last email. I will be using a 2000 count encoder for this application. With the gear ratio, I figure the Plc will be taking in around 7000 - 8000 count per index length. This would be at figuring that the machine is moving 30". Ofcourse the machine will not be doing this length all the time this is the extreme end of the scale.

Thank You

Take a look at this, it might be worth downloading the manuals from mitsubishi website (The UK one has most of them available)

COUNT.jpg

Yes, the built in counters will do it.

I guess you will use A and B from the encoder, so input X0 and X1 can be used and will easily do the frequency you need.

Inputs X2 and X3 could be used but you could be quite near to their max freq.

You need the encoder to have single ended outputs with a voltage to suit the PLC inputs. A differential output encoder may work (I have tried it) but its not really the right type.

Last edited:
Thank you jason that was the information that I was looking for. What did you mean by single ended output. Is that a encoder that isn't bi-directional. Also what is the needed voltage for the plc input from the encoder

I guess you have a 'normal' 24VDC input PLC?

If so then it needs 24VDC outputs from the encoder.

If terminal SS is connected to 0V then you need a PNP encoder.

If terminal SS is connected to 24V then you need a NPN encoder.

Both of these 1 would call 'single ended' i.e. they have 1 ouput per channel or A,B,Z = 3 outputs.

Some encoders have two outputs per channel (+A and -A etc), this is not what you want.

You need to get yourself a hardware and programming manual, do a google search, mitsubishi is not my PLC of choice.

Thanks again jason I kinda figured that is what you ment when you said single ended. but wasn't sure. Mitsubishi isn't my choice of plc either but some customers like certain things. One more question PNP VS PNP what the diffence.

heckpalm76 said:
One more question PNP VS PNP what the diffence.

It refers to the type of transistor in the output stage.

To put it simply;

NPN outputs will pull the PLC input to 0V.

PNP outputs will pull the PLC input to 24V.

Sometimes resistors are fitted to bias the input when the sensor output is off, in your case this is achieved by linking PLC termanal SS to either 24V or 0V.