Protool and OPC Server Issues

SNK

Hey people,

I am currently working on finishing up a project, one that involved taking an exisiting protool application, and converting it so that Ethernet was used as the communication between MP370 and Allen Bradley, SLC505, rather than Serial DF1. The application was extremely slow, lots of strings being passed. We are hoping that the Ethernet Option will speed up the transmission rate.

I am using a driver developed by In-Gear, apparently tested on MP370's and MP270's extensively.

Ingear OPC Server for 2.52.0.3

http://www.softwaretoolbox.com/store/DemoDownload.asp?itemid=981&store=SWTB

My original Controller in the Protool application was a SLC type, communicating via DF1 Serial. In my new application, I am basically switching out the communication type from DF1 to OPC Server, now an option since downloading the OPC Server trial above..

The OPC server works great. I can browse tags, but I am running into a problem when I try to configure the AREA POINTERs in Protool. The area pointers are used for Screen Control, Alarming and others. The error that I am receiving is that there is NO CONTROLLER CONFIGURED......

Siemens support is not having a great time dealing with this. Neither is the "Software Toolbox" support personel.

Has anyone else used this combination of Driver and Protool in a working application utilizing Area pointers with OPC?

I normally wouldn't care about the pointers, but I cannot initiate any screen changes, nor can I display Errors or messages, that are configured in the area-pointers page.

Anyone with similar issues?

Cant help with the area pointer / OPC problem.

I am surprised if the Ingear people cannot help. The "works with Protool/WinCC Flexible" statement should include the area pointers as they are critically important for the alarms for example. So they should take the problem on their shoulders.

About changing screens, then you can assign screen change functions to normal tags.

The alarm messages is a serious deficiency though.
Do Software Toolbox have a sample project with working area pointers ?

Yeah Jesper, I am not too happy with the whole situation.
I really can't re-write code to compensate for the HMI's deficiency, as I am in the Pharma business and it is difficult enough to do what I am already challenged to do.

The screen changes are only a part of the problem...but how does protool initiate a screen change based on tags alone?

I will keep everyone posted.

I think the functions are called Change_Screen_Fixed and Change_Screen_Variable. The first jumps to a fixed screen (doh !) the other jumps indirectly via the screen number and a tag.
You can put these functions on a screen change tag.
Use the events Change_Value or Above_Limit_value to initiate that the function is activated. Be sure to set the tag to update continous rather than the default "on demand".

edit: Ask InGear about a working sample project !

Last edited:
Will do.
I seem to have exhausted the tech support at In-Gear though...they said that it is a Siemens Protool issue. And sure enough, Siemens will more than likely come back and say that it is an add-on In-Gear Issue.
Who is going to lose in the end?
Me, and our company.

As a drastic measure, how about switching to WinCC Flexible ?
The InGear OPC server works with WinCC Flexible too.
In WinCC Flexible, the area pointers have disappeared (almost), and you make the alarms via "normal" tags.

You have to do it sooner or later anyway. Siemens have stopped the production of the last Protool compatible panels - those that ends with a zero, i.e. TP170, OP270, MP270. You can still get them for a limited time, but the end draws nearer and nearer.

If you are working with AB, then also consider to switch to CompactLogix or ControlLogix.
The latest Siemens panels with Ethernet, now also supports Ethernet/IP natively (that does not include Ethernet to PLC5 or SLC500). So all in all this could be a way for you to migrate to the new generation.

aikona.
If you need some of the features that are supported by the OP270 only, like RS232 or the AS511 protocol - or the project is made with Protool and you cannot/willnot migrate to Flexible, then you should stock at least one spare.
If you dont use these specific features, then an OP277 can replace your OP270 with no particular issues.

I know this doesn't help with this post - but, could someone please describe what an "Area Pointer" is? I'm guessing it's a WinCC thing...

Area Pointers are used in Protool and WinCC Flexible.
They are like special tags used for system functions, like messages, keys and buttons, exchange of date and time etc. An area pointer could for example consist of 20 words providing 320 digital alarm messages.

In WinCC Flexible the area pointers have almost disappeared. Most of the system functions are done via normal tags. There are still a few rarely used functions with area pointers left, but I think 99% of people dont have to use them.

I think I might get what you're talking about. My interpretation is that they have tags that run code when written to, like logging the user out. For "keys and buttons" I'm guessing that you can define tags the fire when the user presses certain keys. I don't understand the exchange of date/time or why you would use a pointer for words of digital alarm messages.

Would you mind providing a few more examples?

JesperMP said:
Area Pointers are used in Protool and WinCC Flexible.
They are like special tags used for system functions, like messages, keys and buttons, exchange of date and time etc. An area pointer could for example consist of 20 words providing 320 digital alarm messages.

Jesper, we have over 100 Controllogix systems here, many S7-400/300 platforms, lots of Ethernet, MPI and Profibus. The problem is, in the PHARMA business, there is much equipment that is purchased well in advance, from Germany, namely. We are stuck with the engineered solution, at time of spec.
We are still receiving NEW machinery with Protool-designed HMI's.
We know how they were developed because it is in our IQ OQ documents required for the validation process.

If In-Gear and Siemens can PROVE to me that they won't support area pointers, then I will have to investigate the WinCC Flex option.

In our company, they love to spend money, but on the wrong things as it would appear.

I have to beg to get $1500 CAD software, even though about 3 years ago I spent close to $80K on software platforms alone.

Thanks for the replies, I am still waiting on Siemens support feedback...although they have said that they can help......still no response from In-Gear.

surferb said:
Would you mind providing a few more examples?

What type of information are you looking for?

In my application, I have a LOGin and Security. For the Login stuff, I need to have code in my PLC to accept,and may be setting a TRUE bit in the PLC, but I need the Screen change method used in the area pointer to move to the next screen after a successful login attempt.