Trending

gsines

I keep hearing that there is a function within S7 that is simalar to AB's RS Tends but I have been unable to find out how to use it. Maybe it is not availible on my version of S7(V5.3). Any information would be appreciated!

Where do you hear that ?
I miss in STEP7 something similar to RSTrendX.

edit: I dont know if there are trends or histograms in STEP7-MicroWin for the S7-200.

Man, Jesper - you're so fast to respond. Do you have that PC wired to your head?

STEP7 is the programming tool, right? Why do you need graphs there?

JesperMP said:
Where do you hear that ?
I miss in STEP7 something similar to RSTrendX.

edit: I dont know if there are trends or histograms in STEP7-MicroWin for the S7-200.

surferb, I have two screens open at the mo. One is my laptop where I do some programming, and the other is my stationary (with PLCs.net open) which I occasionally cast a glance upon - when I need relief from the strain of staring into streams of neverending code.

When you have to troubleshoot a pesky sequence that shift faster than you can ever hope to follow, you will know the value of a histogram.
It is also great for ending a discussion with someone who stubbornly insist that the system does something it does not.

LMAO - Does your programming environment typically support this? I've always just gone into the HMI to do that, but it is a bit heavy when you're really just trying to capture a recent data history to help troubleshoot your programming.

JesperMP said:
When you have to troubleshoot a pesky sequence that shift faster than you can ever hope to follow, you will know the value of a histogram.
It is also great for ending a discussion with someone who stubbornly insist that the system does something it does not.

I think that STEP7 is an exception in that it does not have histograms.
Because of this deficiency, I sometimes also program some extra trends into my HMI. But programming + compiling + restarting the HMI takes too long. RSTrendX is nice because you can quickly add a tag to be trended, sort of adding a variable in a VAT table for example.

Greetings Nathan ...

I think that this is the feature we're talking about ... a LOT of regular RSLogix users don't even know that it's built in to their software ... note that "Trend" and "Histogram" are similar - but not one-and-the-same thing ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?postid=63002#post63002

just be careful trying to troubleshoot really "fast" signals with it ... the data still needs to come in over the programming cable - which might not be fast enough to catch everything ...

Last edited:
Thanks Ron - ya learn something new every day.

Jesper, a histogram is a specific type of graph that displays frequencies (usually against time). Is that what you were referring to? You might want to use an HMI that allows you to set up and view graphs quickly ;-)

Ron Beaufort said:
Greetings Nathan ...

I think that this is the feature we're talking about ... a LOT of regular RSLogix users don't even know that it's built in to their software ... note that "Trend" and "Histogram" are similar - but not one-and-the-same thing ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?postid=63002#post63002

just be careful trying to troubleshoot really "fast" signals with it ... the data still needs to come in over the programming cable - which might not be fast enough to catch everything ...

I have never use the trend feature is rslogix 500 but i did use the same feature in rslogix 5000 when setting up motion control systems, they are so fast that the best option is to use the trend option, you can save the trend and you can compare later what you have saved with a new trend.

surferb said:
Jesper, a histogram is a specific type of graph that displays frequencies (usually against time). Is that what you were referring to? You might want to use an HMI that allows you to set up and view graphs quickly ;-)
I got used to use these terms with Rockwell RSLogix software.
There "histogram" is used for a logically correct trend for binary values only.
And "Trend" is used for trending of basically any variable.

I definitely prefer if this was integrated in the programming software and not in an external tool.

Oh - do they use the terms Graph or Chart? I am used to calling Graphs Trends in RSView. That annoys me almost as much as the HMI applications that refer to a Window or Screen as a Graphic. WTF? Then again, I've heard users sling that term interchangably to mean: A window, a screen, an image file (ie picture.jpg), an image object (ie ActiveX image container), or even the runtime of the application itself. And that concludes my little rant on the irrelevant...

JesperMP said:
I got used to use these terms with Rockwell RSLogix software.
There "histogram" is used for a logically correct trend for binary values only.
And "Trend" is used for trending of basically any variable.

Last edited: