Siemens/TI 545&555

DanYost

I have a customer trying to use our DSP to communicate between an S7-200 on Ethernet and a TI 555-1105. He is communicating with S7 no problem, but he cannot get the 555 to talk using Port 1. He had a spare 545-1101, and we got that to work. On both units (545 and 555) his PC was set for 9600 8N1. The program he got to communicate with the 545 was set for 9600 7O1, and it worked. Neither setting (8N1 or 7O1) will work for the 555.

Does anyone know any differences between these 2 PLCs, besides 10?

Thank you,
Dan

DanYost said:
I have a customer trying to use our DSP to communicate between an S7-200 on Ethernet and a TI 555-1105. He is communicating with S7 no problem, but he cannot get the 555 to talk using Port 1. He had a spare 545-1101, and we got that to work. On both units (545 and 555) his PC was set for 9600 8N1. The program he got to communicate with the 545 was set for 9600 7O1, and it worked. Neither setting (8N1 or 7O1) will work for the 555.

Does anyone know any differences between these 2 PLCs, besides 10?

Thank you,
Dan

The port on the 555 may not be configured as a programming port:

555_port.jpg

dip_switches.jpg

Last edited:
Did he check the settings for the ports:
Dipswitch
ON OFF
1. Port 2 = RS-232/422 Port 2 = RS-485
2. Port 1 = Programming port Port 1 = Printer port

Bardes

Thank you for the repsonse, I believe it is configured correctly, as the dipswitches are the same on the 545 and 555. Unless the switches are diffent... My current theory is that we need to jump some of the pins on the PLC side (I found some other wiring diagrms from some random Siemens documents), which are not needed for the 545. I will be making a cable on Monday and shipping it to the customer in FL.

Regards,
Dan

DanYost said:
Thank you for the repsonse, I believe it is configured correctly, as the dipswitches are the same on the 545 and 555. Unless the switches are diffent... My current theory is that we need to jump some of the pins on the PLC side (I found some other wiring diagrms from some random Siemens documents), which are not needed for the 545. I will be making a cable on Monday and shipping it to the customer in FL.

Regards,
Dan

The Port may be pooched on the 555. If the customer has the ability to go online with the PLC, then they should attempt to via port 1. If they can, then it is the cabling issue. If not, then its pooched

Ken Moore said:
If the system has remote I/O bases, you can also use the serial port on the remote base to connect.
Ken, have you ever seen where a touch screen would not work from the RS232 on the RBC - TI545? I have. We have a couple of bull block wire draw machines that had a PC running WIN 3.1 Genesis, poorly done (bad version of Genesis) but they did work at the RBC serial port. We decided to replace them with touch screens. I found that Maple Systems had a driver for the 545. I got one, programmed it in my office testing it on a TI530. No problem until I went to the machine and tested it from the RBC. Could not communicate at all. I moved it to the CPU and it worked fine. So connections, baud, and such were not the problem, I tried everything. For some unknown reason the OEM had an unused 2 pair cable run along with the comm. cable for the RBC. I connected it to the RS422 on the CPU and used a converter on the touch screen and all was fine. I never did take time to go back and find out why. We can use the RBC 232 for laptop connections and the old MMI worked there but not the touch screen. We had the first Maple Systems get smashed after a couple of years so I quickly setup an older Quickpanel until a new screen was purchased. That had the same issues from the RBC.

John