SCADA report software

bradal

Hello,

Just wondering what software you might recommend to create reports in a plant environment. This is for a water treatment plant so it would be nice to have software that ties into SQL and can give a report on various tags, min max avg etc. We have written our own software, but as of right now the pay off doesn't make sense to tie up our programmer.

Thanks for your help

First, what constitutes a "report"? Is a dynamic web page displaying HTML a report. What about a .CSV dump to open in Excel. I typically draw the line at a dynamically generated .pdf document, as far as the data. Ad Hoc reporting goes a bit farther by allowing the end user to generate their own queries.

You could check out Crystal Reports or other open source "(industrial software) vendor neutral" versions of reporting packages.

Alternatively, you could do this with scripted server side web pages. That's an increasingly common skill set, but still falls into custom scripting that would tie up your programmer. A good web guy can create you some pretty cool stuff here.

The more typical way for reporting in industrial software is to go with the reporting packages/plugins that your software vendor provides. Most of them have add ons to do that.

I second the SQL driven part of your spec.

bradal said:
Hello,

Just wondering what software you might recommend to create reports in a plant environment. This is for a water treatment plant so it would be nice to have software that ties into SQL and can give a report on various tags, min max avg etc. We have written our own software, but as of right now the pay off doesn't make sense to tie up our programmer.

Thanks for your help

Really just looking to have software that will allow the operators to choose there data points and data range and create a custom excel printout.

I have looked at SCADAtec SCADAlogger, but now I am downloading a trial version of Crystal reports. 1.5MB for SCADAtec versus 334MB for crystal reports.......hmmmmmmm.

Thanks for the help, they look to be about the same price.

I am curious, Nathan did not mention Inductive Automation. You might want to check into that. The PMI portion attaches to the SQL then you can write SQL code and use the reporting plug in to report what you require. You can also use charts and trending. Just something to look into.

bradal said:
Really just looking to have software that will allow the operators to choose there data points and data range and create a custom excel printout.

I have looked at SCADAtec SCADAlogger, but now I am downloading a trial version of Crystal reports. 1.5MB for SCADAtec versus 334MB for crystal reports.......hmmmmmmm.

Thanks for the help, they look to be about the same price.

Yes, i am also curious about Nathan not mentioning this. Anyways, i use the FPMI/FSQL/Reporting Plugin with alot of reports we have in out company. If you want to have a look at what the package can do, give the quys at inductive Automation a call, or send me a pm, as i am in close proximity to you, and could possibly arrange a demo

You shoul take a look at Dream Report.

"DREAM REPORT™ IS THE FIRST INTEGRATED REPORTING SOFTWARE SOLUTION FOR INDUSTRIAL AUTOMATION. IT WAS DESIGNED TO BE THE SIMPLEST SOLUTION TO EXTRACT DATA FROM ALMOST ANY DATA SOURCES AND PROVIDE AUTOMATICALLY REPORTS TO ANYBODY, ANYWHERE."

You will find a Demo Version at www.scada.ch (http://www.scada.ch/index.php?id=156&L=2)

It includes several drivers. (ODBC, OLEDB, OPC, BACNET, Wizcon, PCVue...).
You can create Excel and secure PDF`s reports (Printing, email...)
It is very powerfull and the handling easy.

regrads,
Jochen

That's what I get for trying to provide a vendor neutral response - The FactoryPMI reporting plugin allows you to dynamically generate pdf based reports from within FactoryPMI. The nice thing is that FactoryPMI runs on Java, so it's easy to launch on any computer on your network - just click a link in a web browser.

As far as exporting .CSV or Excel spreadsheets, that's easy - I hardly consider it to be "reporting". Any HMI package or custom server side scripted web page that draws its data from a database should be able to do this. In FactoryPMI, you'd set up your point selection and date range selection then create a button. You'd come up with the query and one line of code to export to .CSV.

I'd be happy to discuss technologies if you're at that stage.

mrtweaver said:
I am curious, Nathan did not mention Inductive Automation. You might want to check into that. The PMI portion attaches to the SQL then you can write SQL code and use the reporting plug in to report what you require. You can also use charts and trending. Just something to look into.

ghettofreeryder said:
Yes, i am also curious about Nathan not mentioning this. Anyways, i use the FPMI/FSQL/Reporting Plugin with alot of reports we have in out company. If you want to have a look at what the package can do, give the quys at inductive Automation a call, or send me a pm, as i am in close proximity to you, and could possibly arrange a demo

Last edited:
Sorry Nathan, but when you have such a great product, i cant see why not push it. Aside from that, our company uses it extensively for things such as shipping reports, production reports, purchase orders and even MOC requests.

I know it's a great product. My focus has been on discussing: approaches, technologies, architectures, and specific products that are relevant to posted questions. Forum users don't want to be advertised to, they want answers and solutions to their problems. I can't "push" any product in accordiance with forum topicality requirements.

As a user, you can post reviews or describe your experience. This can provide valuable information for others. As someone affiliated with a product I don't have such liberties. I can sugget specific technical solutions to users questions.

My experience is strongest with: general IT matters, scripting/programming, networking, SQL Databases, web servers, etc. I've also worked for a systems integration company for several years, but my focus was on the "higher level" - HMI/SCADA and interoperability with enterprise systems (reporting and alarming included). In general, I'm happy to help out wherever I can.

ghettofreeryder said:
Sorry Nathan, but when you have such a great product, i cant see why not push it. Aside from that, our company uses it extensively for things such as shipping reports, production reports, purchase orders and even MOC requests.

Yeah man, im just bugging, i dont have much experience with the whole reporting side of things other than with FPMI and Crystal Reports. I have dealt with tons of PLCs and HMIs though. Not to push too much, but in my experiences, mostly with RSView, the end user is desiring more functionality. This is where the Inductivr Automation Suite comes in. I personally love it, and will push it to all my clients as its is flexible enough to meet all needs