need help configuring a panelview plus 400 to a micro 1100

pseaney

I am trying to get a micrologix 1100 to communicate with my pv+ 400. I have quite a bit of experience with rs logix 500 but never have had to set up a pv or pv+ until now.

PanelView Plus and RSView Studio can be moderately complex, so in general you should begin by RTFM. There's a PDF user manual accessible via the Help menu in RSView Studio.

The first followup you should post is how you are physically going to connect the PV+400 to the MicroLogix, and what steps you have already taken in RSView Studio to configure this communication path.

If you are using RS232 to connect to both the PanelView Plus (uses RSLinx Enterprise) and the MicroLogix 1100 (uses RSLinx Classic) and you have only one RS232 port on your computer, you're probably going to run into a resource conflict or a lot of flipping back and forth between drivers.

Either use Ethernet to connect to the MicroLogix 1100, or get yourself another RS232 port. You can theoretically use RSLinx Enterprise and Classic on one serial port side-by-side, but I prefer to just use anothe RS232 port and avoid the hassle.

Last edited:
Ken,
Can RSLinx Enterprise talk to RSLinx Classic through some kind of "emulation mode", for lack of a better term (either natively like classic or via OPC)?

I was extending this to think of how OPC-UA would handle this. I think I've heard about a UA wrapper. Does FactoryTalk support such a thing? (I'm thinking it must have come from FactoryTalk or Archestra).

Sharing the COM port between Enterprise and Classic

Nathan;

No, it's nothing that interesting. You can use the RSLinx Classic "remote devices via Linx gateway" driver to access the RSLinx Enterprise Ethernet driver, virtual backplane, and DF1 driver.

The technique is described in RA Knowledgebase answer ID # 25029.

I have it set up through ethernet. I can see the micro and the plc in rs linx classic and rs linx enterprise how ever when I press a f key on the panel view nothing happens in the plc. I have both the micro and panel view hookd to a hub. I also have both my laptops hooked to the same hub. I did the copy target. never worked much with tags. Example: I assigned B3:0/0 to f2 for a counter reset in the pv+ however when I push f2 nothing happens. Sorry for all the trivial questions

Thanks alot for everyones help

I guess one really important question i forgot to mention as well is: When setting up a slc you need to tell it in the config what size rack you have and what cards you have. Is there somewhere you need to do that with the pv or pv+ ?

Hey Ken,

That answer ID says it is no longer available. I went to check it but it is no longer there.

Marc

I recently ran into a similiar problem I wanted to read information from a 504 on DH+ to a Panelview on Ethernet, I thought it would go through a control logix gateway (no such luck) so I pointed it to a topic in linx classic on the same computer and walla tags showed up.

It doesn't feel right (felt like cheating)and I'm still learning but it reads information this way.

It will read from another computers topic this way also, when you choose "new Comunincation configuration" (or something like that, I'm not at work) choose OPC server instead of linx enterprise.

Clint