SLC Networking

dc75

I have a slc5/05 and a main computer station that commuicates with ethernet. In another room, I have 3 slc5/01 that are independent of each other and not networked. Each one has a touch screen HMI....

What I want to do:

I want to network these 3 5/01 using DH-485 and communicate with them via our slc5/05. I think this is possible, but im not sure of the hardware I will be needing.... Any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

Yes, I would like to keep the HMI's functional if possible...Another question, Would i need to just do away with the ethernet, and just have a DH485 network, or can i keep communicating to the 5/05 with ethernet??

dc75 said:
Yes, I would like to keep the HMI's functional if possible...Another question, Would i need to just do away with the ethernet, and just have a DH485 network, or can i keep communicating to the 5/05 with ethernet??
If you look on the network diagram linked, there no reason why you can't still communicate to the 5/05 via ethernet. 5/05 connect the the DH485 via the link adaptor through the RS232 port.

With what you describe above, I personally would be looking to see if replacing the Slc5/01, with a Micro Logix 1100 could be the better option.
That way your network comms are ethernet, and most likely the HMI screens could still work with the other RS232 / 485 port available.
Give us the brand and part number of your HMI

Gil47 said:
With what you describe above, I personally would be looking to see if replacing the Slc5/01, with a Micro Logix 1100 could be the better option.
That way your network comms are ethernet, and most likely the HMI screens could still work with the other RS232 / 485 port available.
Give us the brand and part number of your HMI

A much easier option would be to replace the 5/01s with 5/05s. Don't have to replace any of the I/O. Don't have to recode anything. Pull out the 5/01, insert 5/05, "recompile" the program as 5/05, download. Done... 5 minute job.

A much easier option would be to replace the 5/01s with 5/05s. Don't have to replace any of the I/O. Don't have to recode anything. Pull out the 5/01, insert 5/05, "recompile" the program as 5/05, download. Done... 5 minute job.

Do you know the price of a 5/05 CPU. I like the 5/03 but the 5/04 and 5/05 are priced outrageously high

A 505 is approx $3500 CAD, a 504 is about $1700, and a 503 is about $800.
You can ebay them if you wish, there are other surplus suppliers as well, depends on your company, the current situation....etc.
There is always another way...

Connection from your SLC5/01 and 1747-AIC has different options see PDF below.
The connection from your SLC5/05 RS232 port to your 1761-NET-AIC+ should be a null-modem cable ( 1747-CP3)

Mickey said:
Connection from your SLC5/01 and 1747-AIC has different options see PDF below.
The connection from your SLC5/05 RS232 port to your 1761-NET-AIC+ should be a null-modem cable ( 1747-CP3)

ok, i understand... so my hmi should work like this? as long as my nodes are different of coarse??

OK, ive thought about this, and i think that this may be an even simpler way to do this....dont mind the elementary drawing...lol...i can keep my ethernet network intact, and just make a new network for the 5/01's....I would just have to configure the appropriate driver in RSlinx. right??

Last edited: