Hardy PLC

RandyPhillips

I need a PLC that can be mounted in a cabinet on a piece of equipment outdoors. The temperatures will reach 110 deg. F. in the summer and -30 in the winter. Are there any PLC's out there that can handle it?

It depends on the amount of I/O you will need. If you dont need a lot, look at the TWIDO EXTREME

Go to www.telemeqcanique.com and search for twido extreme. There is a pdf file for it. I think it can handle -40 C and up to 110 C​

Are you tied to the PLC having to be in these conditions, or can you just do a remore I/O to a PLC in a more hospitable environment?

If a reomote I/O will work there are many brands to choose from that are IP67 rated, and don't even have to mounted in panels. This may help eliminate some of the heat issues.

Another option is installing a small HVAC unit in the panel. There are many special-purpose heating and cooling units for exactly this purpose.

There are compressed-air coolers, if it is a Hazardous Area.

I would probably look at controlling the panel environment, and going with a PLC that I either can program, or already have the software, or have good local support.

At least make sure the enclosure has enough space to install heating/cooling, if later it is found to be needed. I think I would go with HVAC even if I found a PLC that supposedly can work in these temperatures. It is bound to last longer.

What about power outages? Notice that many PLCs have a much wider range of temperatures for "shelf temperature", or temperatures that can be withstood when the PLC is NOT IN USE.

Last edited:
chud said:
It depends on the amount of I/O you will need. If you dont need a lot, look at the TWIDO EXTREME

Go to www.telemeqcanique.com and search for twido extreme. There is a pdf file for it. I think it can handle -40 C and up to 110 C​

Here you go:

http://download.telemecanique.com/C125726E0041EFED/all/424075E8988F0ECDC125726E002ED565/$File/twidoextremebasecontroller_characteristicsreferencesdimensionspres_en3.1_41009.pdf

Yes, operation from -40C to +110C !!!!

Thats some serious gear in there, bet thats not cheap. As was suggested it may be cheaper (and better for spares?) to go with a standard plc with a climate control unit on the cabinet?

In Montana when it gets 110 degrees in the shade, the termperature inside a non-ventilated metal cabinet exposed to the sun could be 130 degrees or more.

Last edited:
I agree wtih Lancie1 regarding finding a PLC from a source that will provide support. That could be way more important than finding some super duper PLC and not get good suport. We have several 90-30's mounted in outside enclosures. Here in eastern Washington, the temps can approach 105 or more at times. For temp control, all we have are heaters for the condensation issues at low temps. If your enclosure is mounted in direct sunlight, you can attach a piece of sheetmetal to your enclosure using standoffs so that the sheetmetal absorbs the heat.