RS-232 DB9 Switch

Hi all,

Has anyone come across a RS232, DB9 switch, say to switch between 2 different deivces that can accept say a digital input(s) (remote selction) to do the selection. I've looked on the net and have found manual swithes (e.g http://sewelldirect.com/serial-db9-manual-switch.asp) and switches for multiple ports but they were designed for PC use. The product had drivers to switch/select via the PC.

Maybe there out there, but I'm not using the right search key words??

Thanks,

Andrew Evenson

I was looking for a device like you're describing some time ago and couldn't find anything. I ended up buying a few PCB-mount DB9 connectors, a mini 4PDT relay, and a small custom circuit board from ExpressPCB. It took a little time to draw up the board and solder everything together but it works great. And with some Hammond DIN clips it mounts nicely in a cabinet.

If the PLC you are using is capable of sending an ASCII string or a Visual Basic command then you can use the serial switches that you mentioned that were for a PC.

When the conditions are met in your program that require the serial port to be switched just send the string or VB code out, it switches the port for you and gets out of the way.

I am using the 5 port DB9 switch sold by B & B Electronics (http://bb-elec.com/welcome.asp) and I wrote a simple VB program to switch ports. It works great.

I highly recommend B and B Electronics.

Good Luck

Thank-You All

Thank-you all for your repsoses. I appreicate the time you took to try and help me!

Jiri: I didnt exactly find what I was looking for with Grace Port, but they did have some other neat stuff.

MartB: Thanks for the links, but you are correct, I am looking for DB9 connections. The stuff from cabledirect.com was way too much for me.

kolyur: Thanks for the idea, but I'm not up to building custom stuff. Where I work, this was the way of the past, and once you build it, you own it.

Kyle: These products look promising. I guess the product I looked at had a driver through the PC to do the switching. I though ahh, this would work. This looks like it might. Thanks!

Again, Thanks!

Andrew Evenson :)

why don't u use some relays , when the relay is energized , is connected to device 2 , when it is de-energized it is connected to device 1 (i am not sure if this is a good idea)