ControlLogix/PanelView DF1

Hi
I've got a PV600 and a CLX connected via DF1.
As I understand it, the tags in the PanelView need the 'traditional' addressing convention of N7, F8 etc. and I 'map' the data in the CLX.
Problem is PanelBuilder tells me that the L9:x is not valid on this protocol. Is there any way round this apart from convert my CLX tags to INTs from DINTs?

Thanks

Paul

One thing I wanted to try, but never did...

Have you tried making the 'tags' in the Panelview 'INT' integer type (signed integer) with address like N10:xx and in RSLogix5000 map file 10 to your desired 'DINT' tag array. Problems could arise if you exceed the 16 bit limit (32767/-32768) but, if the data is entered from the PV then you should not see these problems.

I tried mapping a file(12)to a DINT(tester) and I had no problem in RSLogix5000, it passed the 'verify'. The CLGX would have no way of knowing what is sending the messages from file "12" or what data type they should be, and the same for the Panelview, I woouldn't think it would know where it's data is going after the mapping in the CLGX.

I have dealt with this problem before, but I knew things would get complicated, so I created all of the PV to CLGX data in the CLGX similar to a PLC or SLC (B3 bits, N10 integers)as I went to avoid problems like this.

Let me know what you find.

panelview_mapping.gif

INT to DINT

93lt1...
I thought about that, but fear that two INTs from the PV will populate one DINT in the CLX. Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I wish I had an ethernet PanelView now. So much for trying to cut costs.

Can't you try it?

Are you not required to 'map' messages with an ethernet Panelview?

I know with a ControlNet Panelview unscheduled tags use the CLGX tagname for the PV address field.

It really simplifies things :cool:

You can define a tag for a numeric display in PanelView as a "DINT" data type but address it to an ordinary 16-bit Integer address in a controller. It will read that address and the subsequent address and treat them together as a 32-bit DINT value.

This works to get large numbers out of SLC and PLC-5 controllers, and could be used to simplify your ControlLogix data handling.

The COP instruction handily converts between 32-bit and 16-bit integers; just remember that the LENGTH value is the number of destination elements.

You can use Logix native tag names in PanelView Standard, but there are so many caveats that I usually end up just reverting to SLC-style addressing like you've chosen.

Just to fill you in...
I've got DINTs in the CLX and can create 'N' tags in the PanelView. Then I just use even numbers N7:0, N7:2, N7:4...Seems to work fine.

Thanks to Ken and 93lt1