AB to CanBus Gateway??

AlanSmith

Hi, Has anybody any advice on making a conventional PLC communicate with an Automotive CANBUS system?
I am about to look at a new project involving a test rig that is to be used for testing the little motors in car seats. The test rig is to be part of a seat production line. There is a CAN BUS controller to actually control the motors, but the commands to start the test, and the returned results need to be linked to a conventional PLC. The end user prefers Allen Bradley (no model specified). What I think I need is some sort of gateway, possibly from DeviceNet to the CANBUS. Any advice will be appreciated

You can try a third party AB encompass partner like prosoft, hilsher, or woodhead. They may have what you are looking for.

I have just started a similar project. The best device that I have found is the GWY-300 by www.renuelectronics.com I am in the process of programming this device to grab CANOpen data and send it to a MicroLogix 1200. I don't have it communicating yet so I cannot comment on it's performance. It may not work at all but if it does what the company claims it will be perfect.

Please get back with me and let me know what worked for you.