symax600

havago

First may I say hello, this is my first visit to this site

- Back ground -
I can connect/get online by directly to the programming port, but when I connect over a rs422 network I get a NIM error (network interface module), the original symax is still able to connect over the network thus proving the NIM and cabling.

I would like to know if a symax 600 programming port is configurable? Are there registers I need to change? I know about the baudrate and error checking etc.
Any advice would be welcome

Last edited:
havago said:
First may I say hello, this is my first visit to this site

- Back ground -
I can connect/get online by directly to the programming port, but when I connect over a rs422 network I get a NIM error (network interface module), the original symax is still able to connect over the network thus proving the NIM and cabling.

I would like to know if a symax 600 programming port is configurable? Are there registers I need to change? I know about the baudrate and error checking etc.
Any advice would be welcome

It was possible to have the ladder diagram program change the programming port parameters. However, during power up the port always defaults back to the standard parameters and remains that way until the program changes it.

Hi George,

No, I have identical two processors.
I have three processors all 600s(call them A,B and C )connected via RS422, and all three canbe viewed from a central programmer.
We have been have problems with processor C, so I put a spare 600 processor in a spare rack and uploaded the current program that resides in processor C.
I then swapped processor C with the spare.The machine now runs fine. The problem I have is that I cannot connect to the spare over the network. To prove the cabling and NIM I sawpped the processors back and I could then communicate via the network.
with the spare up and running I can commnicate if I connect directly to it. Which leads me to the possible port config

Last edited:
havago said:
Hi Jim,
If the program can change the port config, once the program is running wouldn't set the port?

It depends on your logic. most customers used some type of transitional logic to change their ports only as needed, sometimes by setting an internal bit. Because of this type of sync problem few programmers changed the PROG port and used the COMM fro network communications..

But, if your port was changed by the ladder program then your spare 600 with a correctly downloaded program should behave correctly. Have you tried swapping your spare with one of the other processors, to see if the problem stays at location C or moves with the spare?

Last edited:
Hi Jim,
I am unable to try swapping the spare with one of the other processors for the time being, 'cause production as always is priority. I'll have to wait until the oppotunity presents it's self.
You mentioned setting an internal bit, do you have anymore info on this ? because I can at least compare the bit(s)in the other processors with the spare, until the machine becomes available.
Thanks again for you help!

I am not thinking of any particular bit. The programming port parameters are in one of the 8xxx registers, I don't remember which one. If the program is changing the port parameters, there would be some type of LET statement that is "true" whenever the designer wanted the port changed. Instead of executing this LET statement on every scan, some internal bit was set as needed. The bit may have been set by a timer or maybe when the processor was switched into the RUN mode, it really was up to the logic designer.

Back
Top Bottom